Sainsbury's have got the message!

Bellatom

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I agree with you Seadragon. For very many years, I was a fat woman in the supermarket seeking my low fat foods whilst hoping that THIS time it might work but knowing in my heart of hearts it would all fall apart eventually. Knowing what I know now, I wish with all my heart that someone who had succeeded on a low carb diet had taken the time to stop and me talk to me about what they had done. I wish that I had not spent twenty years failing to get anywhere much yet believing I was doing the right thing for me. I too find myself wanting to say something to a woman I see doing the same thing I did, and I also am nervous that the person would take things the wrong way when what I really want to do is not judge in the slightest, but just give someone an option they won't know about.

My freinds comment not just on the weight loss but also the condition of my skin and hair, I have lost 4 stones so far very easily , though I still have more to go, so its too early to say - this has " worked" for me especially in the longer term. However even though only half way there, I am happier and healthier than I have been in years.

So far I have been in convo's with at least a dozen people who from their own comments I know would benefit from LCHF, but we are all too politically correct to be able to pass on the message without fear of upsetting someone.

If it does work for me, then I have every intention of getting a badge reading "I used to be 18 stone" and wearing it with pride in the supermarket and some cards made up - with a picture of the new me and new weight and directions to find LCHF dieting on the front and the old me with a big skull and cross bones and low fat dieting on the back, so that when it happens again I can hand it out secure in the knowledge that at least I tried!.

I have been overweight for quite sometime and every piece of advice given to me by slimming clubs, NHS dieticians, other people trying to loose weight was, stick to less than 4g fat per 100g, and swap anything you can to low fat and just ensure you fill up with carbs they will keep you full and you will have plenty of energy, no wonder I never lost weight.
Unfortunately this advice is still being banded about and my diet plate still shows the carbs portion as the highest to fill.
In defence of seadragon I would have appreciated someone telling me that try switching things around and cutting my carbs to see how that works and as long as the info is relayed in a tactful, sympathetic and informative way which I am sure they would have, in fact in the past people have stopped and seen contents of my trolley and said with a smile "oh I see you on weightwatchers, slimming world etc" and then asked how I find it and sometimes offered advice as they have tried this that and the other but I have never felt offended or thought cheeky s**s.
I know I am very very new to diabetes uk but thought I would chip in as I think Seadragon did not mean any offence just sometimes with writing anything via text, social media etc it is so easy for it to be taken the wrong way.
Do they do other flavours as I have had heinz oxtail or mulligtawny but quite high in salt, since finding lidl's high protein rolls trying to find a good soup to go with the roll.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Waitrose do a lovely low carb cheese and cauliflower one

Zas2809

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
As everyone I have ever talked to who has followed LCHF has successfully lost weight and improved their health in many ways ,my only concern was that I felt I could have helped this lady when she was fairly obviously hoping to lose weight else why would she be buying the low fat/ no fat foods and studying the labels. people happy with their weight/health do not study the labels. I could have pointed her in the direction of LCHF /dietdoctor.com (as I have for anyone who has asked me how i lost weight and my son lost weight and my husband lost weight etc etc.) Like most people who are told by the NHS and current societal norms that low fat is healthy I am assuming that she is trying to be healthy. Is it wrong of me to feel I would have liked to help her.? Can you show me anyone who has failed to lose some weight on LCHF (they may still be overweight but are certainly unlikely to be gaining it and are most likely losing it)? Can you show me anyone who has successfully reversed diabetes by following the NHS guidelines as I have looked and looked and have yet to find a single person who has? By contrast there are hundreds of thousands who have been helped by LCHF. I felt sad that this lady could have been helped and wasn't getting it. I'm not blaming her for being overweight but sad that she doesn't have the proper information to change that.