Anonymous Question Saladmaster

Anonymous Question

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Anonymous question submitted:

I attended a presentation by Saladmaster as a friend's house on 18 May 2014. Saladmaster sells cookware products for healthy eating. I was surprised that their presentation showed that their products could prevent diabetes and they were fully supported by Diabetes UK. Please can you explain how can healthy eating products prevent Type 1 Diabetes when someone like myself was diagnosed at age 7 some 40 years ago? Furthermore, how does Diabetes UK fully support such cookware products which range from £2,500 to £9,000. They also claimed that cooking with Aluminium pots (which are sold in most shops such as Tescos) causes dementia and they claimed that using their products will prevent cancer. I personally do not use any seasoning on my food and it tasted actually better than their food. They still used pre-made sauces from Tescos and a cake mix from Tescos and claimed it was healthy eating. Please confirm that Diabetes UK does in fact fully support Saladmaster and confirm if there are any healthy eating cookware products which are affordable which Diabetes UK also support. Your assistance in this matter is much appreciated.

To submit a question, please go to
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/ask-an-anonymous-question.html

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you aware that you have put your question to an organisation that is not connected with Diabetes UK. The members here are not really in a position to answer your questions.

Put them to Diabetes UK.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't answer your questions. However, just one comment. There has always been an old wives tale that aluminium cookware has some connection to dementia. I am going back many, many years now, but I do remember my mum throwing out an aluminium tea pot after hearing this! :eek:

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there,
It sounds like a load of (expensive!)cobblers to me, and probably transgressing all kinds of trading laws too.

The diabetes org that they are claiming supports thproducts is probably the one that ends with .org. Actually, I would have loved to have been there and challenge the science behind their claim to "prevent diabetes" with pots and pans :D

Signy

patjenkins1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's not an old wives take. The has been some evidence that aluminium gets into the food when heated up. I read this a while back and will not cook with it.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you have a source for that claim that Diabetes UK endorses saladmaster? "Saladmaster" is never mentioned on their website (google site:diabetes.org.uk saladmaster)
Please confirm that Diabetes UK does in fact fully support Saladmaster
Guess that's a no - do you have any other made up claims you'd like to waste our time with?

slimtony

First off, "diabetes", and "type 1 diabetes" aren't necessarily the same condition. They claim that their product prevents diabetes, but not specifically type 1 diabetes.

If anyone claims their product can prevent diabetes, cancer, death, gullibility, etc., the burden of proof always lies with them to provide evidence for the claim, regardless of how many well-known names might have been hired to back their product.

Reactions: 3 people