1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Anonymous Question Saladmaster

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Anonymous Question, May 20, 2014.

1. Anonymous Question

Anonymous Question Other · Well-Known Member

Anonymous question submitted:

I attended a presentation by Saladmaster as a friend's house on 18 May 2014. Saladmaster sells cookware products for healthy eating. I was surprised that their presentation showed that their products could prevent diabetes and they were fully supported by Diabetes UK. Please can you explain how can healthy eating products prevent Type 1 Diabetes when someone like myself was diagnosed at age 7 some 40 years ago? Furthermore, how does Diabetes UK fully support such cookware products which range from £2,500 to £9,000. They also claimed that cooking with Aluminium pots (which are sold in most shops such as Tescos) causes dementia and they claimed that using their products will prevent cancer. I personally do not use any seasoning on my food and it tasted actually better than their food. They still used pre-made sauces from Tescos and a cake mix from Tescos and claimed it was healthy eating. Please confirm that Diabetes UK does in fact fully support Saladmaster and confirm if there are any healthy eating cookware products which are affordable which Diabetes UK also support. Your assistance in this matter is much appreciated.

To submit a question, please go to
    http://www.diabetes.co.uk/ask-an-anonymous-question.html

2. Squire Fulwood

Squire Fulwood Type 2 · Expert

Are you aware that you have put your question to an organisation that is not connected with Diabetes UK. The members here are not really in a position to answer your questions.

Put them to Diabetes UK.

3. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

I can't answer your questions. However, just one comment. There has always been an old wives tale that aluminium cookware has some connection to dementia. I am going back many, many years now, but I do remember my mum throwing out an aluminium tea pot after hearing this! :eek:

4. Heathenlass

Heathenlass Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi there,
    It sounds like a load of (expensive!)cobblers to me, and probably transgressing all kinds of trading laws too.

The diabetes org that they are claiming supports thproducts is probably the one that ends with .org. Actually, I would have loved to have been there and challenge the science behind their claim to "prevent diabetes" with pots and pans :D

Signy

5. patjenkins1

patjenkins1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It's not an old wives take. The has been some evidence that aluminium gets into the food when heated up. I read this a while back and will not cook with it.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

6. AlexMBrennan

AlexMBrennan Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Do you have a source for that claim that Diabetes UK endorses saladmaster? "Saladmaster" is never mentioned on their website (google site:diabetes.org.uk saladmaster)
    Guess that's a no - do you have any other made up claims you'd like to waste our time with?

7. slimtony

slimtony · Well-Known Member

First off, "diabetes", and "type 1 diabetes" aren't necessarily the same condition. They claim that their product prevents diabetes, but not specifically type 1 diabetes.

If anyone claims their product can prevent diabetes, cancer, death, gullibility, etc., the burden of proof always lies with them to provide evidence for the claim, regardless of how many well-known names might have been hired to back their product.

• Like Like x 3
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook