1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Scar tissue build up?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Shannon27, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Glucobabu

Glucobabu Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I can quite relate to the ‘ledge’ and I am a slim lad of 66 on insulin for 45 years. The ledge does stick out embarrassingly in a T shirt in summer!

2. Glucobabu

Just to add, I have always rotated my sites and I have never been asked about my injection sites at any consultation over the years.

3. Muneeb

Muneeb Type 1 · Well-Known Member

They should do, guess they are cutting corners there. Mine always asks and even inspects them every now and then.

4. Glucobabu

I shall remember to bring it up at the next consultation but I don’t expect it to go beyond the usual advice to rotate the injection sites. It’s similar with the feet. When I mentioned feet the doctor asked me to remove my socks and asked if I felt the cold floor. When I said yes, that was it!

5. Shannon27

Shannon27 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm definitely asking DSN to have a look at injection sites. I have minor issues with my feet anyways, but i don't need anyone to tell me that again ha! Whenever i've had them checked up they prod different places with a little stick thing and ask if i can feel it. I always can, so nothing for the to worry about :) you need to see a proper podiatrist for that.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. WJP1055

WJP1055 Type 1 · Active Member

Hi Shannon. You really seem to be describing lipohypertrophy. As others have said on here you should rotate your injection sites. Slower acting insulin is probably best injected into your bum, nice fleshy area. Faster acting insulin probably best down the front upper sides of your legs. I've now been T1 for 51 years but approx. 30 years ago I was told to stop injecting (and never to again) in my upper arms due to the thickness of the swelling around the area where I injected. I have followed this advice and now use a variety of sites without a repeat of the problem. You will notice a difference in your BS control when you change sites and possibly a reduction in your insulin levels. Happy days.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook