School advice

Alba37

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Suzi,

Hope you have a good weekend, a nice longish lie in, and enjoy brunch! I really hope Andrew's BS's are at a better level in the morning.

You guys take care too,

A x

Katharine

The school plan looks good.

It could be of help for other families to print out in the event of their child having similar difficulties at school.

Alba37

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Katharine,

Thanks for your reply. Hope you and Steven are ok.

I've got a few ideas for amendments, so I'll post the revised plan one it's finalised.

A x

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Hi Alba,
How did Marc's test results go? I've been wondering and worrying ( though I hardly know you, but i do empathise with you) I hope all is well.
Take care, thinking of you both
Suzi x

Alba37

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Suzi!

I've been a bit deflated since the appointment! Things went a bit wonky as usual!

We saw a different consultant, we hadn't seen for maybe a year an a half. He said he was just catching up and read notes for the first 10 mins or so. Then he had a moan, cause Marc forgot his meter. I said we were here for results so he went through test results, but finished by saying they were a long time ago. He was giving us results from more than 2 years ago! I told him Marc had tests a month ago and that was why we were there today. He came to the conclusion they weren't back yet, so he'd check.

He muttered during a lecture, about Marc not being typical Type 1 but neither was he Type 2. I asked what he was, didn't get an answer. He doesn't think he has MODY. But the referral letter was sent off for genetic tests just over a week ago.

Then Marc went in to see his DN, she wanted him on his own first. Marc was told the celiac test is negative (great news, although we still don't know why he suffers constant diarrhea) & was given his C-peptide result 0.24. It was 0.8 2 1/2 years ago. The other tests aren't back yet. Marc says there were other results on the paper, but he didn't discuss them with Marc. I got in for the last 5 mins. Got told Marc IS Type 1, after a long speech earlier saying he probably wasn't!

But the good news.... Marc asked his DN about a pump. She says they've just received funding and Marc is a candidate with his frequent hypos, and needle phobia, she'll support him all the way. He's to attend 2 courses of some sort in January. He may get a pump sometime next year.

How are you and Andrew? Marc is away to a Halloween Disco, dressed as a zombie! I'm a bit worried as no one would notice if he has a hypo with his white face and black eyes!! I've been phoning him, but he's not answering....

A x

suzi

Dislikes
Hi Alba,
Glad things seem sorted and so glad Marc isn't coeliac, and you must be relieved, though motions must be mixed knowing he is definately T1. But at least you now know and he can be treated accordingly. Think a pump's a good idea, especially as he's needle phobic and its good news that his DN is backing him. You see there is light at the end of those very long tunnels!

Is'nt it soooo frustrating at hospitals, wouldn't you think consultants would arm theirselves with the correct imformation before they saw their patients. Andrew is so lucky, Causeway only have 2 diabetic peadiatricians and both know Andrew inside out, he goes every 3months for checkups.

Andrew enjoyed Halloween and over indulged in the treats department, but sure isn't it only once a year and their only kids once. Hope Marc enjoys the party, why do they never answer their mobiles/switch them on!! I know like me you'll only worry till he comes home safe, i did the same when they went trick or treating last night, it was so cold and Andrew had a very unusual amount of hypos yesterday,but on the bright side i knew if he had one whilst he was out he had plenty of sugar to treat it!!

Glad things are clearer now, take care
Suzi x

Alba37

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Suzi,

Things have been up and down again as usual! No matter how hard I try I can't seem to get Marc's BS balanced. It's so frustrating :?

Hope things are ok with you?

A x

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Andrew always says the Lantus stings for some reason.

He's not alone, there are lots of reports of this. Its apparently because it has a much higher ph than the surrounding body fluids, some people say its worse if the lantus is not at room temperature.
If its a real problem Levimir has a more neutral ph.

suzi

Dislikes
Hi Phoenix
Thats exactly what his DN said last week, and now that Andrew has upped his dose to 20u it stings even more. Andrew also gets a red splodge mark around injection sites fades eventually, only plus is he knows where he injected last! Will definately being asking for it to be changed on Tues as its making him hit that "Wall" when he has to inject.
Suzi x