School Boy Error!

buckley8219

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So,

I wake up this morning, immediately roll over pick up my meter from my bedside table to test, as I've done every day for years.

I went to bed at midnight with a sugar of 5.3mmol, so wasn't expecting much difference in the AM. I had no food or insulin on board...

Meter reads 15.6! I immediately panic, check I haven't pulled my pump out or disconnected during my sleep. Grab a syringe from my diabetes supply bag and stick a correction deep into the top of my arm with a 12G needle to bring it down quickly.

2 mins later I'm a little bit more awake..... "I don't understand that can't be right, I don't feel ill, why on earth would it be so high" I quickly check my BG using my other hand and.... 6.2mmol.

******! I go to the bathroom wash my hands and test again 5.6mmol! So 5.6mmol having to be at work in hour, with a big juicy correction on board.

I would relish the idea of a big carby breakfast for the correction, but I'm not a breakfast kind of guy and when I do it's eggs, and eggs, and eggs. Might be time to dust the toaster off.

Moral of the story, wash your hands before you test!

Reactions: 5 people