JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I did regularly before meal one hour after and two hours after until I got things under control not so much since but as have an appointment with diabetes team at the hospital this week my first LoL, I am keeping a log of food eaten and blood sugar levels.

By the way at midnight it had gone up to 6.8.just tested then out of idle curiosity.

Reactions: wiseowl_123

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Would add that though I have blood sugars under control and my HbA1c is low the retinopathy, neuropathy and kidney damage still remain, and the only way to deal with that I have been told is to keep BS low as is possible.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am now in year 4 of my diagnosis and until a couple of months ago I was still testing 10 times a day or thereabouts. I knew I was wasting money and time, but something made me continue. Obsession with data and stats over ruled common sense!
I now just test 4 times a day - fasting, pre-lunch, pre-dinner, bedtime. These averages give me a good idea of how my base levels are doing throughout the day. I sometimes add an odd post meal if I'm curious or eaten a new combination. I also use a Libre sensor part time.

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bullies & Cauliflower cheese
I am now in year 4 of my diagnosis and until a couple of months ago I was still testing 10 times a day or thereabouts. I knew I was wasting money and time, but something made me continue. Obsession with data and stats over ruled common sense!

Good afternoon @Bluetit1802 my friend thank goodness that I am not the only one,I also seem to be obsessed with using my meter 10 times a day,its only been 4 months since my type 2 diagnosis but I will have to try to follow your lead ie just 4 times a day in future,it been costing me the earth,hopefully I shall start from lunch to day,I wonder if anyone else has had this problem,just as long as I don't get meter withdrawal syptoms;)

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder if anyone else has had this problem,just as long as I don't get meter withdrawal syptoms;)

Yes, I have used over 400 strips in around 6 weeks.

Some would say pointless obsession, however it has allowed me complete control over my BG finally, plus I have found the way to eliminate a morning fasting level that just keeps on climbing all day.

If I eat between 6 and 9 pm only on a daily basis, I wake with a level between 5.0 and 6.0 that climbs during the first hour to just short of 7.0 but then lowers to around 5.5-5.9 and slowly lowers to around 4.0-4.5 by 6pm. At this point I then eat, enough to sustain me until the following day and go to bed around midnight at 5.0-5.5. My post prandial spikes are significant (to me) around 8.5 but are short lived (10 mins max).

It is this rigorous testing that has given me the opportunity to work out what is right for me and to constantly be at an acceptable level.

I am now experimenting with full day fasts and this morning woke to 3.9 on the meter, rising to 5.3-5.5 where it has stayed all morning and is now starting to drop. I have been fasting since 1am Sat night/Sunday morning after getting drunk on Red wine on a rare night out. 4 or 5 glasses of red wine had negligible effect on my BS, at midnight I was at 4.2, extremely drunk and went for a takeaway of chicken and salad. which put me at 5.5 Sunday at 9am.

Yes, it's been expensive, money well spent I'd say to get some control over my situation and to show me that I can still live and get drunk occasionally on rare nights out when I go to gigs with my friends.

Keep testing I say, I know I will for sure.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Also I have found that over the past few weeks of keeping a log, my reaction to some foods I thought I had down pat have changed and they are raising sugars more so now than before. It seems with D you can take nothing for granted you have to keep an eye on things and adjust when necessary.

Oh yes and when my bloods became normalised I thought OK I can eat what I like now and for a few months I was right but that seems somewhat variable now sometimes OK sometimes not.

Last edited:

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just read that some neuropathy seems to better some from taking vitamin K2 ... maybe that could also help retinopathy a bit . that vitamin seems to be able to hinder calcium in the wrong places in the body and help lead calcium into the bones... I don´t know if retinopathy is calcium ralated in anyway but if it was then maybe worth a try maybe

http://vitamink2.org/preliminary-st...vitamin-b-deficiency-andor-diabetes-mellitus/

http://www.nutraingredients-usa.com...rterial-calcification-in-kidney-disease-model

http://homedialysis.org/news-and-re...-nutrient-with-big-potential-benefits-for-ckd

Last edited:

MDHalstead

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, I have used over 400 strips in around 6 weeks.

Some would say pointless obsession, however it has allowed me complete control over my BG finally, plus I have found the way to eliminate a morning fasting level that just keeps on climbing all day.

If I eat between 6 and 9 pm only on a daily basis, I wake with a level between 5.0 and 6.0 that climbs during the first hour to just short of 7.0 but then lowers to around 5.5-5.9 and slowly lowers to around 4.0-4.5 by 6pm. At this point I then eat, enough to sustain me until the following day and go to bed around midnight at 5.0-5.5. My post prandial spikes are significant (to me) around 8.5 but are short lived (10 mins max).

It is this rigorous testing that has given me the opportunity to work out what is right for me and to constantly be at an acceptable level.

I am now experimenting with full day fasts and this morning woke to 3.9 on the meter, rising to 5.3-5.5 where it has stayed all morning and is now starting to drop. I have been fasting since 1am Sat night/Sunday morning after getting drunk on Red wine on a rare night out. 4 or 5 glasses of red wine had negligible effect on my BS, at midnight I was at 4.2, extremely drunk and went for a takeaway of chicken and salad. which put me at 5.5 Sunday at 9am.

Yes, it's been expensive, money well spent I'd say to get some control over my situation and to show me that I can still live and get drunk occasionally on rare nights out when I go to gigs with my friends.

Keep testing I say, I know I will for sure.

400 in six weeks?? Wow

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Had first appointment with diabetes team yesterday left me confused and with the feeling I was no longer in control totally unexpected possibly irrational response I know.may be being faced by so many experts at once but this morning had the highest fbg in months.coincidental I wonder.

Had a conversation with diabetes consultant while podiatrist was was working on my inflamed big toe.he want's to see me in his clinic sometime soon.

I asked if as I am still tending to lose weight if a c-pep test might be useful never had one when diagnosed he said no would not be useful.

My response was no I suppose not just thought that it was possible that I may not be producing adequate amount of insulin or something, and that I was sure that I am T2, his response was wrong you are not T2 you have steroid induced diabetes I am unsure as to the difference.

He then ordered some blood tests done including Antibody GAD and thyroid function.

One of the DNs said if insulin was deficient blood sugars would be rising tried to explain that for what I have become used to they are, to no avail.

Got snorted at for low carbing when I mentioned it and told I should be eating more carbs.

Not sure if I feel better for it or not.

They where I must add very competent and friendly but left my head in a whirl.

Reactions: Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I Think you are doing the best you can do and that maybe or probably better than if you have followed the "eat well "idea Stay true to your knowledge and see What happens when They have done the tests

Reactions: JohnEGreen

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Relax and see what the tests reveal. You'll then be equipped with the knowledge on how to proceed.
You've done much better low carbing than you would have on the "Eatwell"
My DN and GP don't approve either but they can't ignore my good results

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry you had such an unsatisfactory meeting, but maybe after some more thought you may feel a little better about it. The GAD and thyroid tests may throw some light on your situation, and whether you have steroid induced diabetes or Type 2, makes no difference to the treatment. The only difference in reality is glucose levels often return to normal once long term steroids are dropped. You couldn't expect anything other than being told to eat carbs from NHS staff, so no worries on that score. Just carry on with the low carb and increase your fats/protein a tad to stop losing weight. (Find the right balance for you)

Keep testing, keep recording your test results, measure your calorie intake for a while, and keep records to show the consultant when you see him next.

If I were you I would test every day before all meals, bedtime and fasting. Unless you eat some new combination of foods or are curious, stop testing post meal. Testing all the "befores" will give you an excellent idea of how your base levels are doing, and you can watch for upward trends.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I down loaded the food log sheets from the site and have been keeping a log will take it with me next time should have taken it yesterday but forgot.

I will I'm sure get back on track soon tomorrow hopefully and have decided not to loose faith in LCHF and carry on as I have been after all it's what got me here.
Will wait for test results and as has been said see where things go from there he did say that thyroid problems are associated with MG so could be that.

If I didn't have this place to come to I would be lost I think it's so easy to lose yourself to the system.

So thanks all for being my anchor with all the good sense advise and support I find here.:)

Reactions: Granny_grump_

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
I totally agree JohnEGreen this site is fabulous,correction the people are fabulous.!!,