Scuba diving and Type 2

nsh2111

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

I am a recreational diver ( open water certified). I normally dive every day when I am on holiday once a year.

I was diagnosed few years back but have been just controlling with diet. No meds.

Question is do people take any specific care when diving or take permission from GP etc ? Anyone with T2 who also dives please if you can provide some input.

N

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
I have been known to do a bit of diving. What sort of depths are you diving to. Padi or Bsac?

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi All,

I am a recreational diver ( open water certified). I normally dive every day when I am on holiday once a year.

I was diagnosed few years back but have been just controlling with diet. No meds.

Question is do people take any specific care when diving or take permission from GP etc ? Anyone with T2 who also dives please if you can provide some input.

N

I would inform the instructor even though you are not any medication for your diabetes, to cover yourself, so, just enjoy it :)

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
Test your BG before and after diving. Make sure your fit and and have your illness well controlled. Also make sure your well hydrated thats important for everyone . Look at DAN EUROPE they have good info.
1. Dont dive below 30m
2. Stay well within the tables
3. No Decompresson Dives
4. Safety Stop (ALWAYS!)
5. Make sure your buddy is aware of your condition
6. Multi dives and multi days might be a bad idea, who knows?
7. There are commercial dive doctors all over the UK who deal exclusively with professional divers. Might be worth dropping a coin to one of them if you have any concerns.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
In the UK or abroad?
I fell foul of insurance (dive provider) when I wanted to scuba dive on the Great Barrier Reef as part of a day trip.
I think the main concern is someone having a hypo (or perhaps hyper) neither of which is a significant risk for a diet controlled T2. Still, insurance companies play safe.

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
From a commercial diving standpoint you could not SAT dive. However a well controlled diet only controlled diver can work. Off the top of my head j think they are given a 30m depth limit.

Insurance companies as mentioned will want to know. I would also see a doctor with some knowledge of the condition v diving

nsh2111

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
wow, thanks for all the advice. @rab5 @LittleGreyCat @Robinredbreast .

I usually do one dive per day after breakfast. I still to table and dont normally go below 30 M. Occasionally have gone to more while chasing a fish :)

Last year in Jamaica, I didnt declare as I was not sure if they will let me dive. This time, I am going to see my GP and ask him to give me a letter or something.

Good advice on testing before and after. Will certainly be doing it this time.

I need to check if I mentioned my T2 on travel insurance. :(