Seasickness and type 1

Jackie100

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi going on a very mini cruise in a couple of weeks I was just wandering if anybody has had to cope with seasickness and type 1 and on insulin pump any help would be appreciated any tricks on how to stop any sickness ?

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry, can't help. I've only been on 1 cruise and asked Boots to recommend seasickness pills suitable for diabetics (just in case). I didn't need them, as the only time I felt queasy was one night, going through a rough patch of sea. I woke up rolling onto my back and lay there, feeling the ship rolling. When I began to feel queasy I rolled back onto my side and felt fine.

I also purchased travel sickness wristbands but didn't need those either.

If you take these same precautions, hopefully you'll be ok, and like me, won't need them.

Enjoy your cruise!

Reactions: Jackie100

Jackie100

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks dancer I'm hoping I don't need them too just wandering if anybody had any experience of it .

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Stugeron.

I get motion sickness symptoms just watching F1 on TV. I do get motion sickness while being driven or on a fast train. It's a life long problem for me. Stugeron works well. Also Boots own version with the same ingredient works as well.

Reactions: Dodo and Jackie100

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As a lifelong sailor the biggest worry I have is to bolus for a meal then feed the contents of my stomach to the fishes. Always takes me 24hrs at sea to get over sea sickness. Sturgeon works and doesn't seem to have a big impact on my type 1.

Sent from my X9 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Reactions: Jackie100

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi going on a very mini cruise in a couple of weeks I was just wandering if anybody has had to cope with seasickness and type 1 and on insulin pump any help would be appreciated any tricks on how to stop any sickness ?
Where is your cruise going? The majority of cruise routes are region specific depending on the seasons. So, you're likely to be in very calm seas due to nice weather.

I work at sea for a living but don't suffer from seasickness; it's handy:D But, by keeping your meals small (if you're feeling ropey); then in the unlikely/unfortunate event that you do bring everything back up; then you won't struggle too much eating more carbs to cover the lesser bolus already administered vs the bolus of a large meal.

If you're really sick and need to eat, dry biscuits, crackers, toast, etc should stay down.

Enjoy your cruise:)

D

Deleted member 308541

We spent five weeks on the Fairstar coming to Australia leaving Southampton in Feb 1970.

We found that the ship had stabilisers out during the day, then back in at night. It was rough coming down the west coast of France (Bay of Biscay) the first night, I was a bit sick then but I put it down to the CUB White Death beer we ha been drinking.

We had our sea legs by the time we got to Las Palmas in the Canary Islands though.

Reactions: Dodo and Jackie100

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah! A cruise! I had not been diagnosed diabetic when I went on a Caribbean cruise. The Stugeron worked fine. But the food! Mountains of it. Always somewhere to eat at any time during the day. Temptation was immense. Self control went out the window. There was even a Night Kitchen if you felt hungry during the night. And a 24 hour ice cream dispenser.

Enjoy your cruise!

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks dancer I'm hoping I don't need them too just wandering if anybody had any experience of it .
Been on quite a few cruises (my avatar photo is me on my latest). Always get seasick the first day but now know to start the seasick tablets a few hours before I go. Still usually sick on the first night, but better out than in. After that I'm fine, just carry on with my usual diabetes regime. The Bay of Biscay was the worst as I needed to have a seasickness injection, but was great afterwards. Have a good cruise, you'll be fine!

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I found that if you lay down on your back on the cabin floor for a while before you get up and then have apple and crackers that should cure the sea sickness but the apple and crackers help to settle your stomach and you won't feel as bad as you can get on a boat or ship but that is how on a small boat you cure sea sickness and you will feel better soon when you are on board the ship it's just a big boat and it's the same as a little boat you still feel the waves and the sea

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app