Second OGTT after 5 years

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
So what have you decided to do? Eat your normal diet and pretend you ate carbs for 3 days? Or do as he said?

You must keep a record of your potato meal and what it did to your levels, to show your doctor.

Reactions: AnnInDenmark

AnnInDenmark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So what have you decided to do? Eat your normal diet and pretend you ate carbs for 3 days? Or do as he said?

You must keep a record of your potato meal and what it did to your levels, to show your doctor.

He clearly knew what he was talking about so I see no point in faking it. I will do as he said and go for the test monday or tuesday next week. I don't really want to eat a normal diet for longer than 4 days, hopefully that will be enough.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
He clearly knew what he was talking about so I see no point in faking it. I will do as he said and go for the test monday or tuesday next week. I don't really want to eat a normal diet for longer than 4 days, hopefully that will be enough.
You shouldn't be being put through all this. What happened to first do no harm? We have to fight the condition and the HCP's nonsense. Only today, I had an omelette for lunch. Said to waitress I live off bacon and eggs these days. She replied, yes you can eat breakfast but not toast. Shocked that she knew more than my doctor.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You shouldn't be being put through all this. What happened to first do no harm? We have to fight the condition and the HCP's nonsense. Only today, I had an omelette for lunch. Said to waitress I live off bacon and eggs these days. She replied, yes you can eat breakfast but not toast. Shocked that she knew more than my doctor.

There is a very good reason for his request that she eats normal carbs for a few days. It is known as the last meal effect. Someone on a low carb diet would very likely fail an OGGT simply because on drinking the glucose drink the pancreas goes into shock. It has been used to producing very little insulin for a long time and will only produce the amount it is used to producing, so when suddenly hit with all that glucose there is insufficient insulin to cover it and the spike will be huge. If the test is to be accurate, this last meal effect has to be removed first, and that can only be done by eating a lot of carbs beforehand.

The problem Ann has is she WANTS to fail the test!

AnnInDenmark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I am not forced to do it, it's my choice.
Beeing prescribed statins was much more harmful to me than having high blood sugar for a few days will be.

Reactions: Bluetit1802