Second vaccine U30s - Astrazeneca

Doctorwhobbc

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

My wife received the AZ vaccine. In light of the news to now not offer AZ to under 30 year olds, does anyone know what that means for second doses? Will it be AZ again, or will they mix it up? I haven't been able to find any guidance on this.

Thanks in advance.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was discussing this with my optician recently, She said her understanding is if you have had AZ for the first dose, you will get it for the second dose regardless of age.
Being over 30, I have not looked into this any further and not sure whether an optician is the best source of information about covid vaccinations.

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

My wife received the AZ vaccine. In light of the news to now not offer AZ to under 30 year olds, does anyone know what that means for second doses? Will it be AZ again, or will they mix it up? I haven't been able to find any guidance on this.

Thanks in advance.
Are you in England? The Government website says second AZ dose to still go ahead but discuss specific concerns with your doctor. Reasoning is that the rare clotting cases haven't yet occured after the second dose so if you were OK with the first you should be after the second. If you have specific family history or other medicines you're on discuss it with your GP. I had my second AZ dose as planned after the announcement was made, am also under 30, no side effects yet (unlike first dose where I had very high bloods).

Reactions: Doctorwhobbc

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I've read that they're administering the same vaccine for both doses. Not sure if age was mentioned but it has something to do with the data being easier to deal with

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
They said on the BBC news that if you had AZ for your first dose, you'll have AZ for your second