Security Checks

Jellytots

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Dishonest people, cruelty to animals, leaking cannulas!
Hi guys, having a slight panic... I'm going to a concert tomorrow night and obviously there are going to be bag checks, but do I have to be aware of any security scanners coming into contact with my pump?! I'm vaguely aware of reading an article on this for airports but since I'm not planning on going abroad soon, it's not info my brain chose to retain. Can anyone help please?!

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi guys, having a slight panic... I'm going to a concert tomorrow night and obviously there are going to be bag checks, but do I have to be aware of any security scanners coming into contact with my pump?! I'm vaguely aware of reading an article on this for airports but since I'm not planning on going abroad soon, it's not info my brain chose to retain. Can anyone help please?!

Have you looked on the website of your pump manufacturer?

It's important to recognise that there are several different types of scanners around. Airports may use X-ray scanners and I think that generally these should be avoided. These are the machines you stand in and raise your arms.

The archways you walk through and the hand held types used by security staff at shopping malls and theatres are basically metal detectors. I believe they can be a problem for people with pacemakers but i'm not sure about pumps.

Your pump manufacturer probably has a number to call for specific advice.

D

Deleted Account

There may be bag searches and there may be metal detectors. Neither should be a problem for a pump.
As @urbanracer mentioned, the thing to be concerned about with you pump is x-ray.

Another thing which may affect you is gig (and other event) security often don't like you to take drinks in with you. So it may not be possible to take Lucozade or any other liquid hypo treatment of choice. Make sure you have dextrose, jelly babies or some other sugary solids with you.

Jellytots

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Dishonest people, cruelty to animals, leaking cannulas!
Thanks guys, I've packed my Dextrose after so many times having my lucozade thrown away. I've been reading that it's mostly x-ray machines to avoid. Thanks for putting my mind at rest!

aphex2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that talk with their mouths full of food.
Have flown all around the world. No problem anywhere with pumps. Just tell them. Disconnect it. Avoid the scanners if you can (but I've been through heaps - full body etc and no problems). Tell them you have a pump and/or CGM. I've just flown Perth to Sydney and back with all manner of supplies. Spare insulin, batteries, jelly babies. Didn't even bother with a letter. I even had some medical scissors with me to cut fixomul tape for my sensor. "Excuse me sir, looks like you have scissors?" I said, "I do. They're medical shears" and showed them. All fine.

Reactions: urbanracer

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
Some pump companies state to avoid full body scanners - usually xrays are ok. If you ring the manufacturer they will send you their advise leaflet that you can print and take if they have an issue. Mine cannot go through body scanner but xray etc is fine. Well done on the glucose tabs- I have had this problem before. Just ensure you tell them you are diabetic and have an insulin pump before any search etc especially with blood test kit- it is an essential medical device. My dsn responds to me by email - again she may do you a letter to cover all your kit just in case. Should be fine and have a great concert.