Seeking advice on novorapid and carb counting

eabhamurphy

Hi there,

If you have hypos 2 hours after eating, would this be attributable to too high lantus dose or too high a novorapid dose before the meal?

Im taking 6 CP with breakfast (10g CHO per CP) and injecting 6 novorapid units...and then 2 hours after I have a hypo of 56 (3.1)...should i change my novorapid units per CP?

Again,many thanks,im so full of questions..:) eva

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Hi Eva,
if your morning reading before breakfast is ok, then it must be your units of novorapid. As everyone is different and all is trial and error, be sure your counting the correct food for carbs, and that nothing too physical is bringing you down afterwards. Then i would suggest reducing your ratio for a few mornings to see how you get on, ie, 1unit to every 15g carb.
Best of luck,
Suzi x

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Eva, it might depend on the type of food you're eating - a low GI food won't raise your blood sugar as quickly as a high GI food, so the NovoRapid may be getting there too quickly. You could try delaying the shot or spreading it over several hours.

Insulin/carb ratio does sometimes vary throughout the day - I am normally 1:12 except during the evening when it's 1:16, which can make a significant difference to the amount of insulin taken.