Seen GP... Now what?

Pixelle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,
I'm currently 6+4 weeks pregnant. I saw my GP last week who arranged blood tests, results were back today and they want to see me again because apparently something flagged up about my cholesterol. They didn't say anything about my sugars etc. I got the earliest appointment I could which is a week on Wednesday.... So it can't be that urgent?

Anyway, at my GP appointment she mentioned referring me to the endocrinologist and diabetes team at the hospital... Does anyone know how long that should take?
Also, when should I be seeing a midwife?

I thought once I'd seen the GP, everything would be in motion so I'm not sure if I should be booking these appointments or not?

I'm pretty worried My sugars aren't too bad but I have higher ones in the morning, around 6.4 - 7.2 and some spikes after food. My fasting between meals is hit and miss whether it's below 5.3 or not. I'm not eating a whole lot because of nausea and worry about spiking. But then I was told that not eating enough can affect blood sugars?

Before the surprise pregnancy I was unmanaged type 2 but doing lchf so now I'm trying to introduce carbs back into my diet, I'm finding I spike more.

I just really need to see the diabetes team so I can start knowing what I should be eating and how many carbs etc because right now I'm absolutely clueless, worried.... And starving

Catherine4188

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello, congratulations!

Are you on insulin? I have been wearing a Libre so noticed that if I didn't prebolus before eating I would always spike really high. I now boils around 30-50 minutes before meals depending on what I'm eating and my blood levels. This has really helped with meeting glucose targets now I'm pregnant.

Also, for meeting up with the antenatal diabetes team, you should contact your diabetes centre and DSN who should speed things up. I saw mine last week at 6.5 weeks but I have a history of miscarriage and have just been diagnosed T1 in February. Maybe they don't need to see you until a little later? I would also contact your community midwife for a booking in appointment. They can been booked up for weeks if yours is anything like mine.

Hope this helps. X

Pixelle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, congratulations!

Are you on insulin? I have been wearing a Libre so noticed that if I didn't prebolus before eating I would always spike really high. I now boils around 30-50 minutes before meals depending on what I'm eating and my blood levels. This has really helped with meeting glucose targets now I'm pregnant.

Also, for meeting up with the antenatal diabetes team, you should contact your diabetes centre and DSN who should speed things up. I saw mine last week at 6.5 weeks but I have a history of miscarriage and have just been diagnosed T1 in February. Maybe they don't need to see you until a little later? I would also contact your community midwife for a booking in appointment. They can been booked up for weeks if yours is anything like mine.

Hope this helps. X

Thank you.
I'm on no medication at all. The gp mentioned putting me on metformin but wanted to see my blood results first.

My previous pregnancy (in 2010) I had GD and ended up on insulin after trying metformin. It did nothing for me except make me ill so I'm reluctant to use metformin again.

I think maybe I'm being impatient, but I'm trying so hard to keep my sugars within target but some days they go crazy for no reason I can see. My highest was 12 last week, I'd had 1 slice of 400g loaf bread!
They're generally below 7.5 1 hour after eating (when I've had very little carbs) but vary between 4.2 and 6.8 between meals.

At the moment I'm eating around 800 calories a day with approximately 50-80g carbs a day which is apparently too low... But if I eat more, my blood sugar goes high.

This is why I'm desperate to see someone for some help! :)
I'll find the number for the hospital and give then a call tomorrow, see if I can speed things up a bit :)

Reactions: Catherine4188

M80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
If you do not eat for many hours this can rise your bloodsugar -if you are a type one diabetic.But as a type 2, it is different. This is to do with the liver releasing energy and the type one diabetics lack of release of insulin (type 1= no insulin production at all).
In non type one diabetics, when the body senses a "hunger" situation, it simultanuously produces glucogen (or glucose can never remember which) and insulin to help you out (give you energy-and the baby). By eating every maybe three hours,it can be low carb,or higher carb but very little to keep bs managable-the body will not feel the need to do this.You keep the liver calm. Maybe it will help if you make sure to have small amounts of food more often.Just some cheese, or nuts, a raw carrot or cucumber.One salty biscuit. You are not type one but it is worth a try.

Reactions: Pixelle

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
You may be encouraged on insulin if metformin doesn't agree.
The last thing you need is very high bgs from re-introducing carbs back in your diet. As far as I'm aware the dietician will want you on a balanced diet for the baby.
Insulin would be the safest way. Its imperative you tell your dietician how low carb you are at present to keep those good bgs.
No severe change too quickly please!!!!

Reactions: Pixelle

Pixelle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for the advice.
I'm going to try to eat little bits here and there, currently nausea is putting me off a lot of foods but I can handle little bits.

I went to speak to the receptionist at my gp surgery today as I couldn't get through on the phone. She said I'm "in the system" and should expect an appointment through in the next 4 weeks!

That's just too long to wait :(
I'll be nearly 12 weeks then.

I've tried calling the hospital but they've said I need to speak to GP for referral... Which I've already done.

This is mega stressing me out. I'm doing all I can to be healthy but I need help from them and can't seem to get any.

Sorry for the moaning. My last pregnancy was great with appointments etc, there was a sense of urgency. This time I feel cast aside and there seems to be no urgency at all, which goes against everything I've read.

I'm fully expecting to go on insulin at some point, I have no problems with that because I know it'll help me and my baby :)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
It will all click into place. Then you'll be fed up doing. On my second pregnancy I didn't take to the dn in diabetic unit. Her advice nearly changed things for me. Luckily I noticed and decided I would stick with last advice from 1st pregnancy.
You know your body better. Tell them but if they don't listen...I had no choice but to decide what was right. My baby was healthy! They are there to keep you right.

Stick to good GI carbs hun and only palm size, even in last months.
To get there only add once you have insulin. It will off set the higher bgs.
Can you keep a foot in both camps til then? (A lapsed lchf?)

Just remember the stable bgs will keep baby safe. No nasty huge spikes or hypos. Do what you can til you get there support. (Insulin)
We are all here if you need us. ;)

natalie22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I would recommend ringing your diabetic team soon as rather than waiting for your dr. The quicker you get seen by your team the quicker they can send you for a early scan to check and also quicker they can give you the correct information. I'd recommend just keeping levels under 7 at all times and then they will soon give you the right levels you should be on.
Just keep checking your blood loads and correct when you need too.
Good luck
X

jade88

Hi Pixelle,
I contacted the diabetic midwife directly and then had weekly calls throughout. Because there was no complications I had my first scan at 12 weeks and saw the consultant at 13 weeks then a few more times throughout the pregnancy mainly after growth scans. The methods of care do seem to differ depending on where you live but I would definitely try and contact your diabetes team directly. Good luck! xx

Pixelle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you everyone. Really helpful advice :)

The diabetes midwife phoned me Tuesday evening to get me to clinic yesterday.
It was a long day, I was there from 1.30 until 5.30 with an hour and a half of traffic to battle there and back!

I saw the Dr, dietician and diabetes nurse.

My hab1c was 44...mega surprise about that and I'm really pleased I've managed to get it down from 65 last year! I was very worried about that because I thought it would be higher.

We discussed my reticence about carbs because they spike my bg, no matter what I have.
At the moment I'm on Insulatard overnight 8 units, to combat the morning highs.
I need to reintroduce some carbs and see how my bg is, then I have to phone next week with my daily bg results and they may put me on novorapid during the day. Dr gave me a letter to give my GP in case, so I don't have to go back just for the letter, which was nice. Got to see the Dr again in 2 weeks.

I feel such a relief that I was listened to and now we have a plan of action.

I'll be getting a scan in the next 2 weeks too.

All in all, I feel so much better knowing I have support now and that my hab1c isn't as bad as I thought it was.