Type 2 Semaglutide side effects

Twinkle41

Hi, I’m new here but needed to ask a question and didn’t know where else to ask.
I have been on semaglutide injections for 14 weeks now. 0.25 for 4 weeks, 0.5 for 8 weeks and 1mg for 2 weeks. But I am still suffering from bad side effects. Really bad Eggy burps, and diarrhoea or constipation. I have spoken to my G.P who was much less than helpful and I also discussed it with my diabetes nurse who advised me to just power through it as she assured it would eventually get better. I just wondered if anyone else had had these side effects for this long? And if you did how much longer did it last. I honestly don’t think I can take much more, I genuinely don’t remember the last time I felt well for a whole day. Thanks in advance.

optimist1

As I see it there are two ways, power through the 1mg dose you have been on for 2 weeks. It gets better every week. Or ask about backing off and increasing in smaller amounts, as the side effects reduce. Given you have had 2 weeks on 1mg, you have done the hard part. I'd be tempted to power through the next week or 2. I took a single tablet of pantoprazole a week for a month, it resolved my issues. I would ask about an antacid, if needed. I assume the over the counter ones aren't do much for you? I don't think Ozempic replaces a low carb diet for T2 diabetes.

Last edited:

MonkstonDave

I was on 3mg for 30 days, then 7mg for 28 days, by which time I couldn't cope anymore. Constant ache under stomach (pancreas area) and similar issues at 3am for days at a time. In the end, 2 days before moving to 14mg, I stopped and told my diabetic nurse no more!!

Worst side effect was it made me not enjoy any food and could rarely finish each meal through nausea. Bloods went from 14 to 11 over 2M so maybe it works, but it's not worth the side effects IMO.