Sending data to mobile from Contour Next Link

wcndave

I have a friend who's young daughter has type 1, and he's asked me to help him, as he's really not technical at all. What this does mean, is that I know almost nothing about diabetes.

However I am a maker, and used arduino, raspberry pi, code in python etc...

He has a 640G minimed pump, which connects via BT to a contour next link 2.4.
That then plugs into a phone, and data is transferred.

The mechanism as I understand it, as that an app called nightscout sends a data request and sends the results to xdrip, which then can send out notifications to follower apps.

The thing is, that as she starts school, they can't be there every 10 mins to take readings (she is up and down in an extreme fashion and needs constant measurements).

So, first idea was to connect to OTG, connected to a tiny phone, and go.
However all the tiny phones don't support OTG, we tried rooting a "jelly" phone, however were unsuccessful.
This works with a larger phone, however 1) it's not possible for a tiny shy girl to carry a big phone around (already self conscious), and 2) the OTG cables seem to break the phones port after a while.

Next solution was to connect a pi, (zero-w) and a small lipo battery, and have that read data, and either send it out via some SIM onboard, or via BT to another phone.

Problem is, that I don't know right now how all these different apps and devices are going to talk to each other, and push/pull data.

I started to think that surely someone, in fact lots of people, must have done this before, hence my post here.

Can anyone point me at a solution for this, assuming we need to use the 640g, and understanding that I don't mind building, soldering, coding, 3d printing etc.. as long as there are decent guides out there to follow.

I have googled a lot, and didn't really find anything that seemed to hit the spot, yet, it can't be an uncommon requirement.

Thanks in advance, and apologies for my lack of knowledge, just trying to help a little girl here :-(

wcndave

I also forgot to mention, I started looking at wearable arduino boards, and then found arduino BT, and also some arduino "feather" with wifi, although I don't really know much about them specifically. I have quite a bit of experience with a standard arduino board though, so happy to go the arduino way.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi @wcndave
So on my understanding here your mates daughter is pumping using a 640G pump and is taking BGs with a contour next link, which is pretty standard.
Does she use a Continuous Glucose Monitoring system at the moment? to be testing every 10 mins is going to be a PITA for the child! Any more info to help out here?

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, sorry, if she has the 640G, does she have the sensor? If not, she can do dexcom and a smart watch to monitor her blood readings and her parents can do the same. There have been a number of people on here who use a libre sensor, a miaomiao transmitter and an app, which then can be shown on a smart watch. I think there is a smart watch suitable for children to wear but I can’t for the life of me remember the name of it. I might be wrong so I apologise. I apologise again if it’s not a direct answer to your query.
I think diabettech.com has some information

wcndave

thanks for the responses,

Yes, she's getting BGs with the link, and using a CGM. Yes she has the sensor on the 640.

The problem is that we don't want the readings for her, she's up and down way too much, and is not able to self-manage. The readings need to go to the "xdrip app" which shares with parents and teachers etc....

I am not sure what "do dexcom" means, however I can google it.

we need the readings to be shared though, amongst a group, and xdrip is what is being used now, although the problem is with having a large mobile phone connected to the girl, together with the pump etc...

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, @wcndave , one thing which springs to mind is Parakeet.

The lead developer behind XDrip+ is jamorham, his page is at the link below.

There's some links there about a homebuild project, Parakeet, a small 7cm by 7cm box which can be carried around by a small child to send cgm readings remotely without having to cart a phone around.

I'm not sure whether it works with any cgm or just certain types or type, or, indeed, whether it's still an active project at all, but maybe worth a look at as a starter for ten.

https://jamorham.github.io/

https://github.com/jamorham/wixel-xDrip/blob/parakeet-gsm-modem/README.md

I assume you've already found the Nightscout page, which is one of the main drivers of the open source #wearenotwaiting tech side of Type1 tech, particularly aimed at solutions for parents of T1 kids, but here's the link:

http://www.nightscout.info/

There's also plenty of google links for the small Jelly Pro phone running xdrip for this sort of situation, so those would be worth a look.

Good luck!

Notorious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
There's a Facebook group called 'Nightscout for Medtronic' that will give you all the help you need.