Senseonics CGM

TOMJC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

Looks like this is now available in Norway and Germany and a few other places in Europe. Roche have a distribution agreement for the U.K. amount others. I have heard nothing else however (aside from plans for better, smaller transmitter and a very impressive MARD score). Does anyone have any feedback from it? Equally does anyone know when it might be available in the U.K.?

Thanks,

Tom

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Haven't seen any announcements for it. The user manuals in various languages provide useful data on performance though. MARD is 11.4% and the Clarke Error Grid analysis is just about okay. I'd say that it looks a lot like a Libre on the metrics I've seen.

TOMJC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh really? I saw from the US study on Aug that it achieved Topline accuracy of 8.8%. Would hope to start seeing more accurate systems than the Libre...

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Pictures from the Dutch manual showing the 20/20, 30/30 and 40/40 scores, and the Clarke Error Grid analysis.
Eversense 1.JPG
Eversense 2.JPG
eversense 3.JPG

TOMJC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh interesting. That's a shame. With 180 days use and ability to use iPhone I would almost certainly use this instead of Libre.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
There's some fascinating stuff going on out there. Noticed these guys in the early stages of having a go at one which will supposedly last for a year!

http://www.glusensemedical.com/news

Whether it ever actually happens, who knows, but I'm optimistic about the sort of stuff we might see over the next few years.

I suppose, though, it's one thing having the occasional dodgy libre or dexcom stuck to your arm and binning it after a couple of weeks, compared to having a dodgy sensor inside your arm!

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There's some fascinating stuff going on out there. Noticed these guys in the early stages of having a go at one which will supposedly last for a year!

Whether it ever actually happens, who knows, but I'm optimistic about the sort of stuff we might see over the next few years.

I suppose, though, it's one thing having the occasional dodgy libre or dexcom stuck to your arm and binning it after a couple of weeks, compared to having a dodgy sensor inside your arm!
Reads very much like the senseonics solution. Anything that needs a local anasthetic does not qualify as minimally invasive to my mind.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Reads very much like the senseonics solution. Anything that needs a local anasthetic does not qualify as minimally invasive to my mind.

Yeah, agree, but I suppose a shot of whisky before and after would be justified as mental preparation!

My backpacking days are long gone, but I've often thought if I was to head off for six months somewhere sometime, once I'm retired, say, or taking a sabbatical, would I necessarily want the additional grief of carrying around/forwarding/arranging sensor supplies for cgm which I've become so used to, or would I just go back to strips alone? So, I can see a place for long term implants, assuming these all don't just turn out to be "vapour-ware". Last time I went backpacking for an extended period, it was with colour-changing strips: could literally double the duration by cutting each strip in half!

TOMJC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Also looks very much like Glysens. Hard to tell how far through development these companies are, but heard rumours that Glysens were hoping to do first trials at some point in 2017...

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh interesting. That's a shame. With 180 days use and ability to use iPhone I would almost certainly use this instead of Libre.
Had a quick look at the site and it looks promising. Although it does say 'up to 90 days' regarding sensor life?

It's entirely possible I misread though, it was a quick glance.

Thanks for the post, new tech always interests me:)

TOMJC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had a quick look at the site and it looks promising. Although it does say 'up to 90 days' regarding sensor life?

It's entirely possible I misread though, it was a quick glance.

Thanks for the post, new tech always interests me:)

Yes it does look promising doesn't it, especially the new, smaller transmitter.

Currently only approved for 90 days however they have submitted data for CE approval in Europe for 180 days and similar in US with the FDA I believe. They have performed trials on this time period so sounds like it shouldn't be an issue. I understand that they expect this approval to be obtained at some point this year. Would hopefully reduce costs if only one implant to be used and bi-annual appointments to have it implanted.

I think they will also submit application for the device not to require fingers prick for calibration (similar to recent approval obtained by Dexcom for G5).

Looks like 2017 will be a big year for them so hopefully Uk included...

Reactions: GrantGam