Senseonics Eversense cgm video

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The vlogger Diabetic Energetic has posted a youtube video about the implantable Eversense cgm:

It's the first time I've seen any prices mentioned for it, at 13 mins in and in the comment below it.

I've no idea where he got the prices from so have no idea whether they are accurate or not.

If the numbers he quotes are correct, looks very pricey, £340 per month.

I'd thought it might be good for people going away backpacking - sensor runs for 180 days - to save carting lots of sensors around, but at that price, perhaps not.

Reactions: Ledzeptt
D

Deleted Account

I spoke to someone on an Eversense CGM trial.
She had experienced accuracy problems with Libre, Dexcom and maybe others but found Eversense much better.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I spoke to someone on an Eversense CGM trial.
She had experienced accuracy problems with Libre, Dexcom and maybe others but found Eversense much better.

At that price, I'd hope so!

Looking at the commentary below the video, he seems to have done his sums wrong.

He says starter kit of transmitter, sensor and insertion costs 3440, sensor costs 2040, insertion/removal is 500, not sure if that's for each or both, let's say it's for both, so, once you're set up with the starter kit, it's looking like every six months you're forking out 500 for removal of the old one and insertion of the new one, plus the sensor cost, totalling 2540, let's assume it does actually last 180 days, £14 per day, £423 per month.

Reactions: Ledzeptt

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
At that price, I'd hope so!

Looking at the commentary below the video, he seems to have done his sums wrong.

He says starter kit of transmitter, sensor and insertion costs 3440, sensor costs 2040, insertion/removal is 500, not sure if that's for each or both, let's say it's for both, so, once you're set up with the starter kit, it's looking like every six months you're forking out 500 for removal of the old one and insertion of the new one, plus the sensor cost, totalling 2540, let's assume it does actually last 180 days, £14 per day, £423 per month.
I think I'll wait until it gets NHS funding and get mine then. Shouldn't be any problem. :):):)

Reactions: urbanracer

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I think I'll wait until it gets NHS funding and get mine then. Shouldn't be any problem. :):):)

Lol, nhs will be really up for this!

Get the Saturday night movie-watching popcorn out, man, it's time for a short vid on the Eversense insertion procedure - this is what it looks like if Hannibal Lecter had developed an interest in cgm.

The comments in the video above calls the nasty bit with the "apple coring" type device "tissue tunnelling".

Yikes, you apparently get a local anaesthetic for it. I'd want a full bottle of whiskey or other ways to be unconscious.

This vid isn't for the squeamish:

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Scott-C . ***.
C'mon mate surely we could sort something with a nail gun and duck tape.;););).
I can see it now...... Eversense cgm. Sold and implanted at your local Lidl.
Decided it's not for me. It's gonna make a right mess of the tat's:):):)

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Scott-C . ***.
C'mon mate surely we could sort something with a nail gun and duck tape.;););).
I can see it now...... Eversense cgm. Sold and implanted at your local Lidl.
Decided it's not for me. It's gonna make a right mess of the tat's:):):)

Yeah, exactly, ***...

Haven't found any removal vids...not sure I want to: some doc randomly poking around with a pair of tweezers trying to fish it out.

They've not really thought this through...

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Aren't diabetics more prone to infection and have slower healing wounds?

I suppose if you slip with the nail gun you'd find out.... :p

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Aren't diabetics more prone to infection and have slower healing wounds?

I suppose if you slip with the nail gun you'd find out.... :p
I'd rather take my chances with a nail gun than the Eversense:):):)

deemalhotra

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been on the eversense for nearly 6 month now. found it to be very reliable and much less invasive than the dexcom which I used to use. The alarm system to wake you up when high/low is also very neat.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have been on the eversense for nearly 6 month now. found it to be very reliable and much less invasive than the dexcom which I used to use. The alarm system to wake you up when high/low is also very neat.

Can I ask whether you're paying privately for it or covered through healthcare/insurance?

I was thinking it might be useful if I was going away backpacking for a while to save having to cart libre sensors around with me but the price is offputting.

deemalhotra

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi - I am based in Dubai and managed to get it covered on my international medical insurance plan

given the costs and the fact you need a procedure I wouldn't advise it for a short trip only

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi - I am based in Dubai and managed to get it covered on my international medical insurance plan

given the costs and the fact you need a procedure I wouldn't advise it for a short trip only

Cheers, it would normally be 4 to 6 month stints. I recall reading they're working on trying to get it to last for a year.

deemalhotra

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
at the moment its 6 months. I live in dubai and managed with remote support so could work for you. what are you looking to achieve with eversense that isn't available with other products.

be aware if you are going somewhere remote as the transmitter needs charging every 24 hours.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
what are you looking to achieve with eversense that isn't available with other products.

When I travel, I like to do it light with just a carry on backpack, so it was just really the idea of not cluttering the backpack up with spare sensors. Although I suppose if I'm in Asia I could just stop off in Bangkok once in a while and buy some more.