Sent to NICE

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I'm a fairly strict low carber, but am aware that even a small reduction can improve control. In that light I've sent the following to NICE;

I am trying to improve the advice and care given to people with diabetes.Particularly dietary advice.I am already working as a volunteer with Diabetes UK, but find that one very straightforward means of helping people with diabetes to control their blood sugars and thus their cost to their own health and to society in avoiding complications, emergencies and inpatient care, is being ignored by the establishment. It is: Since Glucose is a carbohydrate, control of dietary carbohydrates is of benefit to people with diabetes. there's plenty of evidence already available to show this method works, but I draw your attention to the following recent rewsearch paper.
http://www.practicaldiabetes.com/Sp.../March 2014/PP Unwin final proofs revised.pdf
It seems strange to those of us with this condition, who already use this means to keep healthy, that the medical establishment has shut its eyes to the evidence. None of the healthcare professionals who has told me that carbohydrates in quite large quantities are ESSENTIAL to health, has been able to show me any evidence that this has even been researched properly,let alone that strong evidence exists. Nevertheless, people with diabetes are being told to reduce their fat intake [fat is neutral in carbohydrate digestion pathways], but advised to eat "complex carbohydrates" . A quick glance at GI tables will show that wholemeal bread has a higher GI rating than table sugar. and thus causes blood glucose to increase more than sugar does.. Since keeping blood glucose in a range that is near normal, is the best protection against unpleasant and costly complications,
why are the healthcare professions so reluctant to see the truth?
I know they say it hasn't been shown to be safe, but since the advice to "Eat plenty of complex carbohydrates" has led to the UK having some of the worst diabetes care in the developed world, [as measured by outcomes!] Why not use the simple obvious advice to patients as demonstrated by this latest piece of research and do a further larger study?
I know that healthcare professionals are used to being seen as Omniscient and Omnipotent, but many don't even know how low NORMAL blood glucose levels actually are..

Reactions: 10 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
great letter :)

Ps. i have 2 parking tickets which i deserved, any chance you could write a letter for me, you can make up what you like just try and get me off? :)

Reactions: 4 people

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
Hi - trying to access the link but can't do it. Any tips on how I get it to load for me?
I've fixed the link in the original post - should work fine now! :)

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Good luck with that, let us know if you get a response

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
I'm a fairly strict low carber, but am aware that even a small reduction can improve control. In that light I've sent the following to NICE;

I am trying to improve the advice and care given to people with diabetes.Particularly dietary advice.I am already working as a volunteer with Diabetes UK, but find that one very straightforward means of helping people with diabetes to control their blood sugars and thus their cost to their own health and to society in avoiding complications, emergencies and inpatient care, is being ignored by the establishment. It is: Since Glucose is a carbohydrate, control of dietary carbohydrates is of benefit to people with diabetes. there's plenty of evidence already available to show this method works, but I draw your attention to the following recent rewsearch paper.
http://www.practicaldiabetes.com/SpringboardWebApp/userfiles/espdi/file/March 2014/PP Unwin final proofs revised.pdf
It seems strange to those of us with this condition, who already use this means to keep healthy, that the medical establishment has shut its eyes to the evidence. None of the healthcare professionals who has told me that carbohydrates in quite large quantities are ESSENTIAL to health, has been able to show me any evidence that this has even been researched properly,let alone that strong evidence exists. Nevertheless, people with diabetes are being told to reduce their fat intake [fat is neutral in carbohydrate digestion pathways], but advised to eat "complex carbohydrates" . A quick glance at GI tables will show that wholemeal bread has a higher GI rating than table sugar. and thus causes blood glucose to increase more than sugar does.. Since keeping blood glucose in a range that is near normal, is the best protection against unpleasant and costly complications,
why are the healthcare professions so reluctant to see the truth?
I know they say it hasn't been shown to be safe, but since the advice to "Eat plenty of complex carbohydrates" has led to the UK having some of the worst diabetes care in the developed world, [as measured by outcomes!] Why not use the simple obvious advice to patients as demonstrated by this latest piece of research and do a further larger study?
I know that healthcare professionals are used to being seen as Omniscient and Omnipotent, but many don't even know how low NORMAL blood glucose levels actually are..
You are a star! I'm going to take this and give it to my doc although he'll probably refuse to listen!

K

Kat100

Some very good points raised, look forward to hearing your response.....really good work x

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Only read the abstract to the paper itself, will print out for my 'dossier' and read properly tomorrow. Interesting that a reduction in cholesterol is also noted, I thought that LCHF tended to do the opposite?

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Only read the abstract to the paper itself, will print out for my 'dossier' and read properly tomorrow. Interesting that a reduction in cholesterol is also noted, I thought that LCHF tended to do the opposite?

my cholesterol fell like a stone on LCHF, although i also started exercising etc so I'm not sure which thing made it fall, but fall it did

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well done for sending it. Let's hope they start to listen.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
you may get a short-term rise in chol but it tends to fall in the long term.