Septoplasty with high blood sugar

bellapru

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I've been diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes for a little over a year now but have had extremely poor management for a while now. I believe my HbA is <12 and I constantly find myself letting my blood sugars getting above 20mm/L :///

This Wednesday I am booked into a septoplasty (my nose) with an ENT, who knows about my diabetes but isn't aware of my poor management... I am too scared/embarrassed to tell him about my sugar levels esp. since my mum comes to my appointments and I know she will be really disappointed

I will obviously tell him before the surgery that my sugars aren't 'quite' in proper range but my question is ... will it be dangerous to go through with the surgery? It's only a very minor cut between the nostrils ... however, I get a lot of anxiety so if anybody has any advice, please send it through

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you need to have a pre-op assessment appointment. An Hba1c test is a standard part of that assessment.

There is an HbA1c cut off for routine surgery, but all sorts of balancing factors are applied - depending on the risk and impact of the op. Whilst it may be a small cut, the nose has lots of bacteria around it, routinely.

The concerns for high bloods is that healing could be impacted, and a potentially greater risk of infection.