Seven months since diagnosis....

JRTwalker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Feeling quite chuffed today since received my latest HbA1c results and they are now 33 down from 37 last time and 100 first time taken in early October.
I have followed lowest carbs and calories I can manage and often calories are well below 1000 in a day, Carbs often less than 30g. Weight loss so far 36Kg, blood pressure, bpm and cholesterol all down and normal range.
GP has dispensed with my 1x 500mg Metformin. (is this a good idea?)
Downside is general muscle loss, fatigue and some back pain - no pain no gain?
So here the real challenge begins - hold my gains on the BG but increase calories and metabolism without weight gain.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant and well done. That is a huge drop from October.

I agree, increase those calories but try it with additional fats and protein rather than carbs. Extra cheese and eggs and maybe a glass of red in the evening. :)

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @JRTwalker ..
Well done and many congrats on your excellent results ..
I have my meeting with Nursie on 25th and I hope that my results are similar to yours ..

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Feeling quite chuffed today since received my latest HbA1c results and they are now 33 down from 37 last time and 100 first time taken in early October.
I have followed lowest carbs and calories I can manage and often calories are well below 1000 in a day, Carbs often less than 30g. Weight loss so far 36Kg, blood pressure, bpm and cholesterol all down and normal range.
So here the real challenge begins - hold my gains on the BG but increase calories and metabolism without weight gain.

congratulations really a fine job you are doing... We are very similar I have lost around the same also went 1000 calories the first 6 month , but now exercise a lot instead and eat around 2000 calories a day but do also burn around 2000 calories 3 times a week at fitness so my muscles get better and fitter and bigger now... I am still on metformin my own choice, which is fine... if I get better at eating lower carb around 50 grams a day I can maybe also get rid of metformin... it is hard to tell what is the best for the individual. you must feel yourself what is the best for you.. so see what happens without metformin if your numbers raise too much then ask to get back on the metformin again

Last edited:
Reactions: Prem51

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
Sweet work on your discipline and control. If you can do that then you can manage your "general muscle loss, fatigue and some back pain"

You have to balance what you eat with your exercise, if you are at your ideal weight then as a suggestion you need to eat the right foods to build/maintain your muscles. This will make you able to exercise and keep that superb discipline you have.

For me, I eat the carbs/protein/veg to deliver the calories I need to do my sports, some days I fail, badly. I finished an off road marathon distance duathalon and was down at 3.2 on my meter, did wonder why I finished in a pile of uncoordinated sweat. I share this because I did not really have the right foods in me or the muscles to finish strong and feel good. Make sure you protect the body you live in, eat well, make those foods deliver goodness and never miss out on flavour.

You can still maintain a good HBA1C level.

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done. I too was diagnosed with T2 last October with a HbA1C of 99. In February is was 59 and now it is 44. I have lost about 10Kg since diagnosis. I still have a little way to go to get HbA1C below 42 to be in the non-diabetic range. I am taking 1x500 Metformin a day and thinking of stopping this once my current supply of pills run out a a couple of months time.

Recently, I have been doing intermittent fasting at weekends (basically eating just once a day at lunchtime). I have found that this helps nudge weight down a bit as it was on a plateau.

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant results!

Reactions: JRTwalker