Severe Retinopathy and vitrectomy

bonerp

Hi
I've suffered with proliferative retinopathy for too long, had lots of laser, a vitrectomy in left eye almost 2 yrs ago and right eye in jan.

I've lost a little peripheral vision but generally not too bad.

I take Maritime bark, bilberry, grape seed extract as supplements - who knows whether these do anything?!?

Its not got any better with improved BG control. Last HBA1c was 7.1 and its been steady for 3 years since being on a pump. I can only see it getting worse again unfortunately. I worry everytime I see a change but what can you do?!

Having recently got back into exercise, I am guessing only gentle exercise is recommended and I wont be able to go back to heavy weights? Has anyone been advised around this area?

cheers
Paul

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Can't really comment on the supplements Paul as I have no idea whether they help or not, in my opinion your better just eating a healthy diet with plenty fruit and vegetables.

I think your doing the right thing by trying to improve your bg over a longer period of time, good bg control does undoubtedly help in diabetic retinopathy as does keeping your blood pressure and cholesterol in check.

I was told when my retinopathy was active to keep exercise to something gentle like walking, cycling or swimming and not do anything to strenuous, I don't know what the advice is once the eyes are stable but I'd ask your Opthamologist for their advice before embarking on something to strenuous.

Lastly try not to worry yourself stupid, I know it's not easy and I still worry leading up to my retinopathy check-up but worry causes stress which in turn effects bg and can increase bp, take each day as it comes and try and stay positive for the future.