Shaky at 4.5 prediabetic

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,
Just a quick question, I'm sure that I've read prediabetics don't get hypos. So wondered why I suddenly get really shaky all over. As soon as I get it I test as I know my bloods will be in the 4s. This morning I've done exactly that and I'm 4.5, it happens a lot now as I'm back doing IF most days til lunchtime. Any advice is always welcome thank you.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Having enough salt? 4.5 isn't really low and as you are pre diabetic then your body shouldn't really be accustomed to higher numbers.. hmmmm

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Having enough salt? 4.5 isn't really low and as you are pre diabetic then your body shouldn't really be accustomed to higher numbers.. hmmmm
Not sure on the salt as I don't like it, I never add it on my dinner, but I do add to all my cooking. But as you've said being preD I didn't think I'd get this...I was 6.2 this morning when I woke.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure on the salt as I don't like it, I never add it on my dinner, but I do add to all my cooking. But as you've said being preD I didn't think I'd get this...I was 6.2 this morning when I woke.
Try a pinch in coffee.. yes I know it sounds weird but actually takes away some of the bitterness and gets your salt levels up.

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Try a pinch in coffee.. yes I know it sounds weird but actually takes away some of the bitterness and gets your salt levels up.
I can't drink coffee it's one of my most hated drinks....would it work in tea?

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
When I get down that low my hands go cold.

I am still using up the last of my code free strips so a 4.5 could be a 3.5 but hey. The salt does help me. Only needs a pinch. Even in water, If you can taste it you used too much.

Once I'm through these strips I plan on getting a new meter so I know for certain.

(edit due to overzealous and unintelligent spellchecker)

Reactions: AngiH

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I get down that low my hands go cold.

I am still using up the last of my code free strips so a 4.5 could be a 3.5 but hey. The salt does help me. Only needs a pinch. Even in water, If you can taste it you used too much.

Once I'm through these strips I plan on getting a new meter so I know for certain.

(edit due to overzealous and unintelligent spellchecker)

It's up to you what you do, but irrespective of any specific frailty you have found with the Codefree, all meters have legally acceptable accuracy tolerance. Just saying. :)

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
If you say so.

Code free have known accuracy failings. The time and date creep too which I don't think is good enough on a unit that can be used as record for dvla.

I do not trust it. Simple. Why should I tolerate it. In my gut I feel it reads high.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I'm sure that I've read prediabetics don't get hypos.

Anybody whose blood glucose drops below 4 is technically having a hypo. The symptoms may be felt before that and I have an old friend who would regularly have hypos if he didn't eat carbs, he had his BG measured when an ambulance was called on one occasion, so it was low BG.