Shepherds pie advice

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
noblehead said:
cooking them at a higher temp will not reduce the carb value

Stand corrected thanks noblehead.

clairy clutterbuck

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Well I am back after another few months out of action, and straight away learn something new! I knew mash made me spike but didnt know why when I can take a small amount of boiled/roast potatoes. All makes sense now, it releasing the starches when you mash. I have also left the skins on when doing saute ones as I am told the fibre in the skins helps, not sure if that is true.

Clairy x

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
clairy clutterbuck said:
Well I am back after another few months out of action, and straight away learn something new! I knew mash made me spike but didnt know why when I can take a small amount of boiled/roast potatoes. All makes sense now, it releasing the starches when you mash. I have also left the skins on when doing saute ones as I am told the fibre in the skins helps, not sure if that is true.

Clairy x

:thumbup: The more a food is processed the quicker it is digested/broken down to its single glucose molecule (in the case of carbohydrate) and can then enter the blood stream quickly having the maximum effect on bg levels. The longer food is in your stomach the longer it takes to enter the blood stream so a food that is broken down slowly dribbles into the blood stream keeping any spike in bg levels to a minimum :D

Thats how it was described to me anyway and it helped me understand it...

clairy clutterbuck

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Thanks for that. Its amazing how many ways you can help yourself.

A friend who knew I was diabetic and could take a small amount of potato with skins on, sliced some potatoes really finely and then re-built each potato brushing each slice with oil and sprinkling with herbs (obviously leaving off the bottom slice otherwise it wouldn't stand up!) and then baked them in the oven for 40 mins at 180.... delish Could make that a topping for shepherds pie too. :)