Shielding letter COVID-19

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Plenty of T1s have other conditions and I believe if your most recent hba1c is over a certain level you get to shield....?

Sorry, no. Those who had to, and still are shielding, have very specific medical conditions, eg genetic disorders, having treatment for cancer, immunity problems, solid organ transplants, severe asthma and COPD. Although it's now been found we are at higher risk of severe complications if we catch Covid, little has been said about that in PHE and Government advice. I feel its being ignored.

Ladybird1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just received my shielding letter but can't understand why. I've never had one before, when all the covid started. I'm one very confused person

Reactions: Milson

Milson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, I am 24, have no other conditions, last hba1c 49 and have randomly recieved the letter from the department of health and social care saying I know need to shield haha little bjt late a year on seems as though I have been going to work in a office throughout but o well haha

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just received my shielding letter but can't understand why. I've never had one before, when all the covid started. I'm one very confused person
No doubt you are one of the 1.7 million people they have added to the shielding list now that they have more data on who is badly affected by catching the virus.

johnbear2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
conservative polititicians
I got a shielding letter because I am classed as clinically extremely vulnerable due to having a rare genetic condition, a rare type of type 1 diabetes and wolf parkinson white syndrome in Jan 2021

Reactions: oldgreymare

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I am 24, have no other conditions, last hba1c 49 and have randomly recieved the letter from the department of health and social care saying I know need to shield haha little bjt late a year on seems as though I have been going to work in a office throughout but o well haha
I suspect your age has pushed your relative risk to exceed the boundaries.

Reactions: Milson

bobandpat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No! I didn’t get a shielding letter either and I am well over 70 as well! Just been self isolating since 12th March and spending HOURS looking for delivery slots at supermarkets.

Same here. Tried both Asda and Sainsburys, both within couple of miles from us, to no avail.

When I tried Tesco, which is eight or nine miles away, some-one actually answered the phone rather than press this button for this and that one for something else. As soon as I said that I was over 70 and type 1 diabetic I got access to priority slots and they've been brilliant ever since. :happy::happy::happy:

Reactions: oldgreymare

PeteN11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been T1 for 3 years and received my first shielding letter this morning which was a surprise. The only thing that has changed is that I turned 60 last August so expect it is for that reason. Getting first jab on Friday which had already been booked for being in group 6.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Same here. Tried both Asda and Sainsburys, both within couple of miles from us, to no avail.

When I tried Tesco, which is eight or nine miles away, some-one actually answered the phone rather than press this button for this and that one for something else. As soon as I said that I was over 70 and type 1 diabetic I got access to priority slots and they've been brilliant ever since. :happy::happy::happy:
Slight hijack, apologies but Iceland were easy to get a delivery from when I was recently in self isolation.