Shift work

Toejam237

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I work nights on rotation with early and late,
My sugar reading was 17.2 & 20.3 through last night.
Is my employer obliged to alter my shift plan if its affecting my health.
Thanks
Iain

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I worked shifts for over 30 years. My guess is it’s your responsibilty to sort your medical condition . Shift work and diabetes takes time to see what fits you especially when your rotating shifts . There is a lot of testing and changing of eating times etc but it does become easier with time and experience

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I work nights on rotation with early and late,
My sugar reading was 17.2 & 20.3 through last night.
Is my employer obliged to alter my shift plan if its affecting my health.
Thanks
Iain

Hi there, in a word I would say no. I have encountered this situation before (not for myself and I also work shifts) but the onus I'm afraid is on you to manage your diabetes within your shifts, whilst also asking your Employer to make any reasonable adjustments to allow you to continue them. How do you think they are affecting your health above & beyond the extra stresses of shifts for everyone? If there is anything specific I might be able to at least tell you what I do. x

Reactions: EllieM
I am not sure if your employer is obliged to alter your shift plan, try talk t, maybe it's possible to do something. But if not, you can look for another job with a more suitable shift plan.