Shift workers

steveo4

How do people manage their condition who do shift work especially nights. I might have to start working shifts and am concerned if this will affect my control.

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I worked shiftwork about fifty years ago, no pump of course, I did not have any problems, You may need to adjust your Basel rates or at least swop them around a bit but having a pump is ideal for working shifts, so good luck with your new job

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I work shifts, on a very irregular pattern rather than a week of nights. I might do an early, a day, a late and then a night with four days off in between, as an example. I’ve found that my usual pump settings are just fine and don’t need adjusting but of course your mileage may vary!

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I worked shifts for 32 years started on 8 hour continental then when to 12 hours shifts days and nights. I tended to take my long acting at the same time whenever I was days or nights the rest was just as normal as well. It was pre Libre days would have been so much easier , initially When I was on two insulin’s a day eat at regular times ( OMG How did we manage with that regime) I was not looked to work shift , however when I went to Basel /Bolus regime the work allows it .