1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Shift workers

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by steveo4, Jun 2, 2020.

1. steveo4

steveo4 · Well-Known Member

How do people manage their condition who do shift work especially nights. I might have to start working shifts and am concerned if this will affect my control.

2. Peter03

Peter03 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I worked shiftwork about fifty years ago, no pump of course, I did not have any problems, You may need to adjust your Basel rates or at least swop them around a bit but having a pump is ideal for working shifts, so good luck with your new job

3. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Expert

I work shifts, on a very irregular pattern rather than a week of nights. I might do an early, a day, a late and then a night with four days off in between, as an example. I’ve found that my usual pump settings are just fine and don’t need adjusting but of course your mileage may vary!

4. Ushthetaff

Ushthetaff Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I worked shifts for 32 years started on 8 hour continental then when to 12 hours shifts days and nights. I tended to take my long acting at the same time whenever I was days or nights the rest was just as normal as well. It was pre Libre days would have been so much easier , initially When I was on two insulin’s a day eat at regular times ( OMG How did we manage with that regime) I was not looked to work shift , however when I went to Basel /Bolus regime the work allows it .

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook