shiftwork!

emilyK

Dislikes
people who are patronising, raw tomatoes, the colour yellow, the sea and so on
I am a 20 yr old nursing student and am about to do night shifts for the first time since i started the course, i've got type 1 diabetes and take 3 injections of novorapid + 1 of levemir a day - no idea how to change it all around on a night shift, has anyone got any ideas/experience with this?? cheers 4 reading xx

emilyK

Dislikes
people who are patronising, raw tomatoes, the colour yellow, the sea and so on
yeah, i asked her, and she gave me a plan of what to do, i was just wondering if anyone who actually has diabetes has done it. think will just have to play it by ear - my insulin regime is pretty flexible. thanks for the comment!

Nemo

When i was on a QDS regime I still had my Levemir at night and bolused with any food that I ate during the night shift. To be honest, the main problem I had was returning back to a daytime routine, that whole jet lag experience made my BMs go high and I would spend a couple of days chasing them.

Its easier now I am on the pump, but still have some problems in returning back to days.

(I did also make the mistake only ONCE in giving my levemir dose at about 10pm just after handover finished but after giving 34 units, realised it was actually the novorapid. Ended up spending that shift in A&E)

Helen1966

I started nursing in 1991 and the DSN was useless....didn't have a clue about what I should do so just worked it out myself......I just swapped everything around, e.g. (normal) - 3 x novorapid + 1 x Levemir nocte (night shift) - omitted Levemir until the end of my nightshift. I would take my Levemir when I got home and just before I went to sleep. I would, of course, have to take novorapid during the night when I ate but this worked out fine, particularly when the nightshift was busy and I a) didn't get time to eat or b) at late. Everyone is different but this worked for me. I hope this helps.

graceamy

I worked permanent nights for years and always took my lantus at dinner time..about 6pm because I was always at home at that time,... Inject novorapid for meal (bowl of cereal ) at about 0200 and then miss out lunch and novorapid next day .

Sometimes on my first and last day of a run of nights I would end up having 5 injections a day instead of 4 but it worked for me.
Much easier now as I use a pump.

drrndn1

HI I am myself a nurse of 30 years standing and a Diabetic for 41 years. Before going on to DAFNE I just reversed my insulin around eg. taking my long acting before sleeping in the morning instead of at night, though I did sometimes have problems the watch word is check your blood sugars more regulary especially if you are having busy shifts it's amazing how a high blood sugar can soon become a hypo when you are working hard. DAFNE if you are familiar is the answer for many diabetics as i can enable flexibilty (though does not suit 100% of diabetics) I take my long acting Lantus at the same time every day whatever shift I am doing, then the quick acting is taking to what my blood sugar results are before I eat and on what I am eating. Ask your DSN about DAFNE in your area, it may suit you. Just Remember CHECK BLOODS REGULARLY espwcialy before you go to sleep and do be careful if you " drop off" during your break.
Good Luck! :D