1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Shingles and Diabetes ?

Discussion in 'Other Health Conditions and Diabetes' started by anna29, Feb 26, 2015.

1. poshtotty

poshtotty Type 2 · Well-Known Member

2. Oops! Thanks RRB!

• Like Like x 2
  3. dannyw

dannyw Type 1 · BANNED

Not sure of the relevance but I too had several bouts of shingles prior to T1 diagnosis. I guess there are a multitude of triggers.

4. amazinmo

amazinmo Type 2 · Member

I have had shingles 3 times, first when my son was born with problems had them on my stomach, second when my brother in law died young had them all down the nerves in my leg and thirdly when my mother died had them on neck and back of head. doctor told me stress related each time apparently lies dormant in the spinal chord i was told by doctor

• Like Like x 2
  5. borderbird

borderbird Type 2 · Member

6. borderbird

borderbird Type 2 · Member

I have type 2 and have just had shingles. As I have had them before, 30 years ago when the doctor gave me a small bottle of stuff which had to be painted on. As they were on my back it was not easy, but this time I recognised the nasty itch, rash and tingling very quickly and the doctor gave me Aciclovir anti viral pills and they all went very soon with no after effects. The pills however made me feel sick and very down, but as I was very stressed I blame this for the shingles. So get to the doctor quickly and get anti viral pills, drink lots of water, and rest as much as you can is my advice. Good Luck.

• Like Like x 6
  7. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

• Like Like x 5
  8. jay hay-char

jay hay-char Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'm just getting over an attack of shingles on my back (mild luckily) so you have my sympathy. I, too, wondered if there were links to T2 but I suspect probably not. Most of us had chicken pox as kids, I guess, so it's statistically inevitable that a good few of us will develop shingles at some point. I can't even claim that I have been unduly stressed: if it had happened four or five years ago I'd have had a different view as things (particularly work) were quite, ahem, challenging but now - apart from coping with T2 - things are a lot better. The worst stress point in my life atm is that I haven't had a piece of toast and marmalade since being diagnosed last summer, and I would kill for one :D

9. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

How are you feeling now @anna29 ?

• Like Like x 6
  10. MizzRyan69

MizzRyan69 Type 2 · Member

I have just been diagnosed with t2 and have had ocular shingles three times as an adult.. They were always put down to the high stress levels of my job. . Since being diagnosed and trying to educate myself I realise diabetes is also linked to stress. . Each time with ocular shingles was closely monitored by the hospital.

• Like Like x 4
  11. daddys1

daddys1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 6
  12. MizzRyan69

;-) yes thanks Neil... its a good job this place exists because my GP has been useless!!!

• Like Like x 4
  13. daddys1

daddys1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@MizzRyan69
    Lots of us say the same, the NHS is diabolical with regards to giving the correct information for Diabetics.
    Neil

• Like Like x 2
  14. MizzRyan69

I was literally informed after 4 fasting blood tests that I have t2 diabetes, (wouldn't let me drink the glucose as my readings were still too high) My GP went on to say you are now entitled to a free flu jab, handed me a leaflet for a place called 'Juggle' which I am not going to :-O and then went on to tell me that I needed to rethink my diet and an appointment would be made for me to see a diabetics nurse... I'm not overly 'Overweight' which has also been upsetting to read that there is a massive pre-judgement that type 2 are huge and eat everything in sight.... If anything I was not eating enough during the day... Sorry to ramble Neil... pleased to chat :)

• Like Like x 2
  15. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

Ye gods!
    You should send in a 'tactless of the year' award.

But stick with us!
    A good read of the forum and you'll know enough to ask the right questions, know what to aim for, and know when to hop up and down and demand appropriate treatment when/if you need it.

Welcome. :)

• Like Like x 2
  16. kevinfitzgerald

kevinfitzgerald Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi Anna,

I was diagnosed with shingles ten years ago so I was a type 1 for 23 years at the time. I never thought that I would get shingles as I always thought it was something "old people got" I was 36 years old. It was incredibly painful.

Length of time is different for each person but if I remember correctly I think I had it for about a month before everything started to get back to normal.

You can speed up the recovery process by getting some calamine lotion. Its a white chalky solution. Apply it to some cotton wool and dab the rash all over with it. Apply it freely. Its fantastic it really helps to relieve the itching and also helps to dry up the rash. Any pharmacist will tell you to use this.

I recovered completely. It left a few red marks that I still have today but I wasn't left with any pain.

I wish you a speedy recovery.

KevFitz

• Like Like x 2
  17. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

I was quite young when I got it too - 33.

18. poshtotty

Does anyone know how Anna is? She seems to have abandoned this thread

19. Mike d

Mike d Type 2 · Expert

Good question. I thought she'd come back with an update.

• Like Like x 4
  20. poshtotty

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook