Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Think I have shingles (again, have had them previously before diagnosis). Rash all up right leg. Sugars in high teens in spite of corrections. Should I call the gp tomorrow or try the pharmacist? I have a work meeting I need to be at in the morning, groan.

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
Think I have shingles (again, have had them previously before diagnosis). Rash all up right leg. Sugars in high teens in spite of corrections. Should I call the gp tomorrow or try the pharmacist? I have a work meeting I need to be at in the morning, groan.
Hi @Diakat I have had shingles 4 times, but always around my torso. I have also heard of it on the head, face and eyes, but never on the legs.
It is a viral infection started by chickenpox that remains resident in your nervous system for life and can appear at any time. I don't see why it should spike your sugars, apart from generalised inflammation.
I think you need a GP to diagnose it from the appearance of the blisters and topology of the outbreak.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Shingles/Pages/Introduction.aspx

It says to see your GP, I think that's just so they can check the rash isn't something more serious, not particularly for treatment. Your pharmacist might just direct you to your GP.

Youre contagious until the rash "crusts over" (there's something to look forward to) and shouldn't be around pregnant women till then. So you might need to be careful about going into work.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Thanks all. Will try the pharmacist.
Last time I had it it was on leg and torso. This time just leg which is why I am unsure.
Luckily I am in an office and can keep it covered which should eliminate risk of infecting anyone else.

Reactions: Freema and mahola

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Shingles/Pages/Introduction.aspx

It says to see your GP, I think that's just so they can check the rash isn't something more serious, not particularly for treatment. Your pharmacist might just direct you to your GP.

Youre contagious until the rash "crusts over" (there's something to look forward to) and shouldn't be around pregnant women till then. So you might need to be careful about going into work.
Oh, flip. I'll call the gp first thing then. Thanks.

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Hi diakat. Is it something in the air lol went to my doctor Friday had red rash down left side stinging with a bit of pain one look said oh that's shingles wasn't surprised as iv'e had it before i said didn't think you can get it again she said yes you can as you've found out can't give anything for it just take paracetamol my sugars are abit all over the place trouble is it takes 3 to 6 weeks to go also it's associated with chickenpox same virus let me know if you find out anymore if you phone your doctor thanks forgot to say you can't pass it on to other people so should be ok

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi @Dairygrade if I discover anything usefull I'll let you know.

I think it's only the puss inside the blisters that it infectious (internet reading so maybe not reliable) so as long as I avoid rubbing my blisters on anyone they should be safe!

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Thanks for that diakat look forward to hearing anything take care big hug back

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had shingles. My pain was in my left leg and the rash and blisters came out on my stomach. The doc at the time found the nerve trail. I think it's a good idea to get to your doc asap. The sooner you do you're likely to be able to treat it. I wish you the best. :)

Reactions: Diakat

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
I know that this does not solve your immediate problem, but there is a shingles vaccine called Zostavax that may be available to you in the UK.

This a Australian Government article regarding the free vaccination of over 70 year old people/

http://www.immunise.health.gov.au/internet/immunise/publishing.nsf/Content/news-20152307
There is now a shingles vaccination programme in the UK for us old folk. Unfortunately I had an outbreak of shingles following my jab in autumn 2015, not sure if it was caused by the jab or if the jab was ineffective. Anyway, the upshot was that it wasn't recognised at first so I had extensive heart investigations because of chest pains until the rash came out at last. At least I know my heart is good now.

D

Deleted member 308541

There is now a shingles vaccination programme in the UK for us old folk.
I am a firm believer in getting vaccinations, but I seem to be holding off on Zostavax for some reason.

My GP has not offered it to me as it is in short supply here in Australia, perhaps if I asked for it he would send me down to the surgery treatment area and get it.

They have a vacination advert at the GP's, with a pix of a female with Shingles on the side of her face up towards the eye, nasty looking condition to have.

Reactions: Freema

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Diakat

If you can, get to GP, or out of hours doctor, if you can get anti-viral meds early it can reduce the duration and severity of the rash.

As you probably know, having had it before, the pain and discomfort can last after the rash, and you can feel generally unwell.

Just getting over my 3rd time with shingles. Most uncomfortable.
Hope you feel better soon.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Thanks all. Will call doc this morning.

@BrianTheElder you made me smile, I'm 44 so not counting myself as an oldie just yet! However a doctor told one of my friends that has just developed the beginning of arthritis that "We are all supposed to be dead by 40 anyway so each day is a bonus". Possibly a new NHS initiative to kill us off...

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes definitely go to your GP, the anti-virals are really effective, without them the pain can last for many months.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Thanks all. Will call doc this morning.

@BrianTheElder you made me smile, I'm 44 so not counting myself as an oldie just yet! However a doctor told one of my friends that has just developed the beginning of arthritis that "We are all supposed to be dead by 40 anyway so each day is a bonus". Possibly a new NHS initiative to kill us off...

Good luck, I hope it is all sorted out very soon and take care of yourself (I have had 19 years bonus time then and your post did make me smile) :)

Reactions: Diakat

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Mornin @Pipp thanks for asking.
Doc called back and got me to describe symptoms then said come in for a late appointment. She gave me antiviral to try and reduce the time it takes to go.
Thanks to all for the advice and support.