Shocking story, what kind of a situation am I in?

KingXi

Beg to disagree about making a complaint with the hospital - about their lack of informed consent and especially communication after the event of what needed to be done in surgery. Even if it was fully medically justified you definitely should have been told of organ removal and their procedures need to be reviewed (as opposed to legal case of malpractice and injury)

I should of addressed this in my last post, I actually have contacted the college of surgeons and physicians of my province and sent them every bit of detail of how I was treated.

Nervous and anxious to see how it plays out.

Reactions: HSSS

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I should of addressed this in my last post, I actually have contacted the college of surgeons and physicians of my province and sent them every bit of detail of how I was treated.

Nervous and anxious to see how it plays out.
Good luck

Reactions: KingXi

BrenDorset

Hi guys,

I'm so thankful there is a forum where I can share my story with people dealing with the same disease as me in both Pancreatitis and Secondary Diabetes.

I mostly have questions in regards to my Secondary Diabetes but also would like to share my story of how I got here.

My Story.

I'm at 28 year old male who was perfectly healthy as of 7 months ago, I got a pancreatitis attack out of nowhere on a beautiful Tuesday evening in September, it started off as a normal stomach ache after I had eaten a peach (possibly an allergic reaction) which ended up progressing and about an hour later turned to severe 10/10 pain above the stomach area which I had never felt before.

Got hospitalized. Unfortunately the pain was not improving weeks on and as the tests continued I was told I now have a "cyst" which I will require surgery for.

Had surgery in October to remove the cyst, 9 days hospital stay and got discharged from the hospital.

Life went on... then got a 2nd attack a few months later, recovered with time and liquid diet and no further intervention, during this hospital stay found out I'm diabetic.

Something didn't seem feel right, I got discharged, contacted the hospital where I had the surgery and ordered all the doctor notes+surgery reports/scans, my reports showed along with the pseudocyst I also had pancreas necrosis and that a pancreatectomy was also completed during my surgery.

I was not told about the necrosis which they knew of before the scheduled surgery according to my reports or the pancreatectomy, not before the surgery nor after during my post surgery hospital stay, I had a follow up appointment with my surgeon a month later post op and nothing from him either (at this point I did not yet have my 2nd attack and did not know the above).

I booked a 2nd appointment with the surgeon, one of my questions to him was why wasn't I told? the question he asked me was do I not have a family doctor? What he was saying was that it was my family doctor's responsibility to monitor my blood sugars and apparently it was also my family doctor's responsibility to tell me I had a certain body part removed (pancreatectomy). For those wondering my family doctor's didn't make me aware either.

If I didn't get my a 2nd attack I unfortunately would not have found out about the severity of what was done to me.

Diabetes+Questions.

I requested for a A1c test after finding out I was diabetic during my 2nd attack hospital stay, this would be about a little over 3 months after my pancreatectomy, it was 6.9%.

I have worked with my endo to further diagnose, currently I'm taking Tresiba at bedtime to bring my fasting levels below 7 mmol, I currently do not require digestive enzymes, episodes of hypo and hyper have not been evident at the 7 month post mark.

I have understood diabetes is a disease which progresses, I would love to hear your experience, get your opinions as well as expectations or assumptions as to what kind of a road I'm in store for?

Honeyend

I think you need a copy of your consent form. In surgery especailly when they are unsure what they find when they open you up there is usually a catch all clause, so if they find something that needs removing, like you have a an operation for cancer they will take out any lymph nodes or biopsy them in the same operation. They would justify it was it was in your best interests especially if your pancreas was necrotic, and likely to be a source of infection, its very unlikely they would remove healthy tissue.
Before you go through the cost of a legal case I would think what would it atchieve, and how it could make your situation any better. If you have lost confidence in your medical team perhaps its just better to see another one and get a new GP who has a good diabetes team.
In the UK you can now access hospital blood and scan results on line and should recieve a copy of your discharge letter with a summary of any treatment.
I agree they should have told you but I work on the basis I live on the fuction I have, and I am glad I am not one of the 25% that die from it.
I was told that pancretitis ages your pancreas by 10 years, which is very simplistic, but its does give some sort of context of why is you get repeat bouts your function may deteriorate.

Reactions: KingXi