Shops for low carb?

L3wisr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Any there any shops that have quite a few low carb foods that are ideal for lunches? I've been looking to try the 'zero carb' rice and noodles from muscle food but with delivery they're quite expensive to test.

Not seen many places that have anything similar

lizf4619

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morrisons sell the noodles. An acquired taste, don't like them myself. Either make your own veg spaghetti with a spiralizer or buy it in Tesco, Asda, Sainsburys, M&S already done. The Range have proper spiralizers for £10. My lunch usually is a small tin of tuna & a boiled egg - just check the tins are either peel off lids or ring pulls. Cheese chunks and pastrami are also easy to carry.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sainsburys have got a "carb alternative" bit on their website with cauli rice, boodles, courgetti (I'm really lazy & I don't have the time or inclination to grate a cauliflower or spiralilse a butternut squash!) and they have the bare naked noodles and bare naked rice for £2 each. So I'm guessing all the major supermarkets are going to have similar.

debbiedoodles

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Has anyone found almond flour cheap anywhere? It cost me £10 in Holland and Barrett

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@L3wisr have a look in holland & barret, I've tried the noodles and they are absolutely rank! As someone else has suggested maybe try the cauli rice/courgetti spaghetti etc, I also cba making them myself so just buy them ready to cook in supermarkets, much easier n so much tastier :)

Henwoman

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I found some sweet potato noodles in a Chinese supermarket in Chinatown that are fine for me. Never found reasonable prices for the almond flour but live in hope.

clairese

almond flour and ground almonds are nearly the same - tescos sell ground almonds as do most supermarkets

Hello. Lidl are good for ground almonds. they sell quite big packs and I think they're cheaper than most other places. They make great cheese scones to have with soup. I tried coconit flour but the flavour is too strong; it overpowers almost every other ingredient.

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
M & S now do a fantastic range of low-carb microwave meals if you're feeling lazy and/or flush. The Chicken Tikka with Cauliflower rice is really great. I really missed these today, I didn't have enough time to get there and back this lunchtime, so had to nip to a small Tesco's near my business park, and in all their ready meals / lunch options there was nothing low-carb, even their veg soup had about 20g per 'portion' (i..e. half a tub - as if!), their salads were almost all pasta-based too. Even their 'healthy' range had 40-80g.

Reactions: 2 people

greener

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
M & S now do a fantastic range of low-carb microwave meals if you're feeling lazy and/or flush. The Chicken Tikka with Cauliflower rice is really great. I really missed these today, I didn't have enough time to get there and back this lunchtime, so had to nip to a small Tesco's near my business park, and in all their ready meals / lunch options there was nothing low-carb, even their veg soup had about 20g per 'portion' (i..e. half a tub - as if!), their salads were almost all pasta-based too. Even their 'healthy' range had 40-80g.

does M&S have a website to check them?
the one that I know doésn't have them

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
does M&S have a website to check them?
the one that I know doésn't have them

As @lizf4619 says, the food available to order on the m&s website is not their whole range - there is no information on low carb ready meals available on their website. Maybe pop to a bigger m&s to see if you can find them or ask in store for more info.

lizf4619

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Been to a new M&S food only store today, they did have the new low carb range. Also had their garlic sausage for lunch ZERO carbs!

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello. Lidl are good for ground almonds. they sell quite big packs and I think they're cheaper than most other places. They make great cheese scones to have with soup. I tried coconit flour but the flavour is too strong; it overpowers almost every other ingredient.

The cheese scones sound good ... did you adapt a recipe?

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
is there an M&S food store in Basildon?

Have you heard of google - https://www.google.co.uk - it's brilliant, you should definitely give it a go. If you type that question into google it will come up with the m&s store locator, you can type your postcode in and it will bring up all the marks and Spencer's stores, including the simply food stores on a little map so you can figure out which one is best for you & it will tell you the opening hours.

lizf4619

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Foodhall 12-24 EASTWOOD ROAD, RAYLEIGH, United Kingdom, SS6 7JQ, this is the same grade of store I was in today. Monday night about an hour before closing is a great time to go, a lot of stuff is marked down, stick stuff in the freezer. Even fresh their stuff is usually OK for 5-7 days after the sell by date. I used to work for M&S and they used to only sell the 'waste' to staff - now everyone gets it. I regularly buy a prawn salad they sell which doesn't have pasta, rice or noodles. I don't have the dressing though.

greener

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you heard of google - https://www.google.co.uk - it's brilliant, you should definitely give it a go. If you type that question into google it will come up with the m&s store locator, you can type your postcode in and it will bring up all the marks and Spencer's stores, including the simply food stores on a little map so you can figure out which one is best for you & it will tell you the opening hours.

silly
I have already been to one MS store in Basildon town centre yet I don't think it has food
there is also another in basildon which I can't know if it has food and that specific meals or not

annscullamus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Try the Natural Low Carb Store, I get bars, granola and other snacks and they are a godsend. Especially when on the go ! They are based in Edinburgh, but I buy through Amazon. They also do meals and soups, but most importantly they use no artificial sweeteners. Hope that helps.