Short, big spikes

NatJS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
So I've been testing closely to see what my spikes look like - just before eating, and then every 15 minutes thereafter for 2 hours. I wanted to see what was going on because when I was first diagnosed in February this year I found if I ate any carbs at all my sugar would go high and stay there for ages. But now even after a carby meal my sugar always is around 7 2 hours after eating, so very much within the guidelines. I'm on metformin and now Actos, and was very low carbing for about 4 months. Now I eat more carbs but still very low in comparison to what I was eating before. My latest hba1c was 41, before I started the Actos.

Yesterday I deliberately ate a high carb snack (4 slices of toast with jam) on an empty stomach and then tested as described above. I found that within an hour my blood sugar had risen from 5.6 to 12.1, but then an hour later was back to about 7. Much later in the day it dropped back to around 5.5. If I had just tested 2 hours after I ate I would have not known about the spike and assumed it was all fine.

What does this actually mean though? If I'm still under 8.5 2 hours after a meal as the NHS guidelines say, then does a spike like this not matter? How would a non diabetic person's sugar react to a meal like this?

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
A normal non diabetic person's (my husband's) BG goes up to about 8 quite quickly and then comes back quite quickly - yes, I have tested him - just so that he would know that the fiinger prick thing isn't pain free.

I'm not sure why but I do know that its the spikes that do the damage so, if I were you, I'd avoid giving yourself such high spikes but perhaps you can experiment with a few more carbs until you find your perfect level.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
My latest hba1c was 41, before I started the Actos.

That's interesting, I wonder if that's because it's a "sort of average" and some really highs are being averaged out by some really lows.

snack (4 slices of toast with jam)

That's a big snack and your BG only rose to 12.1?

an hour later was back to about 7

The drugs are working then? As Chook says, best not to deliberately cause the spike too often. Interesting experiment though.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Also as a Type2 our livers have less space to store "solid BG" then a normal person. But once our BG comes under control we free up a little space in our livers. Therefore one bad meal may just spike you for a little time, but also fill up the space in the liver, so the next bad meal has more effect.

I had ice cream on two days last weekend and my BG was still higher then normal yesterday, one ice cream last weekend did not have any effect on BG readings.

NatJS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Here's a graph I created of the tests. It's not quite exactly every 15 mins but close enough to see a shape. It's 2 hours between the first sample point and the last.
Screenshot_2017-07-11-22-12-10.png