Shortness of breath with high blood glucose readings

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

I am trying to work out why I have shortness of breath and heart palpitations when my blood glucose readings are high, it usually happens after eating carbs. I have had hospital tests for my heart and thankfully got the all clear. Often have low blood pressure. I have been diagnosed with pre diabetes and my GP refuses to consider that I am having symptoms of diabetes. I have a Libra Link which seems to suggest a link between what I eat, high blood glucose levels and shortness of breath and heart palpitations. I go from around 4/5 to 13.6 when I have an episode. Has anyone else experienced the same? Thank you.

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Grains, especially bread makes me feel like that. Since going low carb I don't get those feelings now, obviously because I've kicked out wheat and other grains. Can you pin it down to what you're eating at the time? I'm thinking of allergies?

Reactions: MissMuffett

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Could be that you are looking at this the wrong way round.
Rather than your high blood sugar causing palpitations and shortness of breath , it could be that your palpitations, shortness of breath are causing the high blood sugar levels.
Stress and anxiety are among some of the many things other than food that can affect our levels.

eventhorizon

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know when I'm really high 20 and above I can struggle a bit. Feel sluggish and find my hiking difficult but not debilitating. The heart might be thumping a little harder than normal.

Gannet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Showbiz
I felt like that when first diagnosed. After being fobbed off repeatedly by the g.p., I went to A+E where they took a finger prick test and said ‘How long have you been diabetic?’ They then said my symptoms were absolutely nothing to do with diabetes. Odd that I started to feel better and the breathlessness disappeared once the diabetes was controlled!
Recently (20 years on) I have had a slight return of the symptoms, but my HbA1c is at a reasonable 49. I still wonder if I’m getting occasional highs but it happens when I’m out walking and if I test when I’m back it’s not too high.
I used to feel as though I was walking through treacle, but not recently.

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I found my shortness of breath, dizziness and palpitations were due to low folate levels (B9) confirmed by a blood test. My gp told me to take a supplement. Within a week of taking it all my symptoms disappeared. I take B12 as well as folate now and haven’t had any symptoms again. It might be worth checking if your B levels are low?

• Agree
Reactions: Omar51 and Outlier

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm sure I've read on here that long term use of metformin has the effect of lowering b vitamins and they do need supplements.
Search the forum or read the packet?
(Can't do it myself sorry, having sight issues)