shortness of breath

lynn007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
animal abuse
can anyone tell me if they are short of breath and is it a symptom of Diabetes? I have always been on Asthma pumps but last few months been short of breath. The dr put me on tablets about 2 months ago and they were working well until 2 weeks ago now I am short of breath again, so went back the dr and now im on another inhaler. 3 inhalers and tablets a day. Just wondered if anyone else has this?

Reactions: SWUSA_

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
can anyone tell me if they are short of breath and is it a symptom of Diabetes? I have always been on Asthma pumps but last few months been short of breath. The dr put me on tablets about 2 months ago and they were working well until 2 weeks ago now I am short of breath again, so went back the dr and now im on another inhaler. 3 inhalers and tablets a day. Just wondered if anyone else has this?
I have asthma and type 2 and yes I have shortness of breath more in the autumn when leaves are falling, but what are your blood sugars running because it can also be a symptom of very high blood sugar?

lynn007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
animal abuse
I have asthma and type 2 and yes I have shortness of breath more in the autumn when leaves are falling, but what are your blood sugars running because it can also be a symptom of very high blood sugar?
I don't know I had the blood test yesterday , I have to go back on the 25th for spirometry and results

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
Part of HA1c testing includes a fasting glucose reading usually. My doctor calls me if I am running higher than usual. What are your HA1c's running? It sounds like your shortness of breath is probably asthma though. Are the inhalers working? Have you found out what your asthma triggers are yet? Once you find out what your triggers are avoiding them helps a lot.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm just wondering if your sugar levels are affecting your asthma? I used to suffer from asthma when I was younger and took steroid inhaler as a preventative and used ventolin inhalers. But sugar itself causes inflammation and asthma is caused by inflammation of the lining of your airways. Perhaps higher sugar levels are causing more inflammation than usual for you? On saying that I just found this article which may be of interest... http://www.discoveryhealthjournal.com/2011/08/connection-between-sugar-and-asthma.html

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are on any medication, I'd be checking for side effects that may include breathlessness - also check for interactions between medications if you're taking more than one. It might be a good idea to have a medication review next time you see the doctor.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you also had your heart excamined ? Shortness of breath can be due to heart problems too and a lot of other causes But it is a good thing to have tested ones heart just in case .