Should I be diagnosed or not?

suzip

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,
I wonder if any of you learned people could answer a question for me? I had gestational diabetes four years ago and therefore am tested each year for diabetes. I had a test in July this year which was fasting 6.8 and 41. I had a repeat test 5 weeks later and the results where 7.3 and 43 ( I had a very good holiday in between ) the Dr told me that was a diagnosis and wanted to put me on medication straight away. I asked for to hold off and change my lifestyle first to see if that helped. Thanks to you guys And the advice on here I have switched to a low carb diet, bought a meter so I'm testing and lost a stone in weight.
Anyway I've just got back from the Drs having had my repeat test - readings of 5.2 and 40. I'm am pleased with my progress, I was hoping for more impact on the over time test though if I'm honest given the massive changes I've made! Anyway I saw a different Dr today. She said I am not diabetic and she doesn't think I should have the diagnosis as I have shown that the lifestyle changes have effectively worked. She wants me to have a glucose tolerance test in 3 months time to get the definitive answer. Im a bit lost now! I had accepted the diagnosis and embraced the lifestyle changes and was looking at the positives that a diagnosis meant eg healthcare and being looked after! I think i would rather be a diabetic that can control it with my diet than at danger of diabetes if that makes sense? The Dr said she was thinking of the implications of things like health insurance and driving and taking medication if I have a diagnosis. Has anyone got any experience of this? Thanks in advance...

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Generally the forum members are of the opinion that if you are diabetic then you do indeed have diabetes. There is no available cure but there is the option to control it and not damage yourself further.

However, there is only one way to get diagnosed with diabetes and that is to present yourself for tests that return bad numbers. You have been proactive and now look like a non diabetic.

If you see a diagnosis of diabetes as being desirable then you have the answer. Get tested as you would be normally because control, for all its benefits, is an artificial state.

Reactions: 5 people

suzip

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you squire. I suppose it does seem a bit strange that I am seeking a diagnosis and I guess the glucose tolerance is probably going to do that. I just wouldnt want to be in a position where I am damaging my body and blissfully unaware if you see what I mean? It's a bit of an emotional roller coaster when Drs give you conflicting information! If I had gone with the first Dr and not been on this forum I would of been on medication and probably eating loads of carbs and avoiding fat still!

Reactions: 2 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had similar experiences. As I have been kind of low carbing for some years my HbA1c never went very high and fasting bg has never been a problem for me it was when I finally had persuaded my GP to let me have an OGTT I was diagnosed at 13.8 after two hours. Since then I have reduced HbA1c to 35 and have had a hard time to make HPCs take my diabetes seriously because of the normal HbA1c. Have had to argue to get the eye test and other tests done.

I believe I have been diabetic since at least 2010 as the symptoms I got then went away on strict LCHF.

A week or so before you do the OGTT you need to up your carb intake to at least 130 grams per day or the result may be skewed.

annelise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfriendly and bigotted persons; i.e. persons who do not have an open or enquiring mind - but all within reason - persons may have a reason to appear as such - we will never know their backgrounds or where they come from ...
Suzy, I can totally relate to what you write. I was myself diagnosed with an Hb1Ac of 7.3 % - and made some lifestyle changes (diet) in an attempt to get numbers down - trying to first see if I could do this without meds.

I succeeded so well that when I reached an Hb1Ac of 5.4 %, my doctor gleefully proclaimed, "Now you are cured!" - Oh, deep sigh from me about the ignorance of some doctors :( - so I politely begged to disagree. I well know that I am only a few carby meals distanced from again getting very diabetic numbers, indeed.

Suzy, I sincerely applaud you for so quickly and efficiently having taken control :) - you are one tough cookie - and I know it may have its deprivations. But once a diabetic, always a diabetic, but good to know that at least this is one autoimmune disease where we may actually often ourselves take some control if we make the effort.

annelise

suzip

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @Totto i will remember to add the carbs in before I go for the test. I imagine I know what the results are going to show. When I had gestational diabetes I went straight onto insulin within a matter of days and my sugars will all over the place so, although I know there are different factors when you are pregnant i can't see it ever just 'goes away'. @annelise thank you for sharing your story, your kind words brought tears to my eyes! I'm sure the Dr thought I was crazy that I was being positive about having a diagnosis, I was trying to impart that I (hopefully) not going to get complacent, although I would like to allow myself a treat every now and again .

Reactions: 2 people