Should I be doing something??!! Help!

daisyw

This is my first post and Im really hoping some kind people will give me some advice :D
I developed gestational diabetes when pregnant with my son, which was discovered through a GTT. I was sent for the test because of a family history of diabetes (Uncle and cousin) plus having PCOS. Throughout the pregnancy I was quite unwell and my bloodsugars were not great, I narrowly missed being put onto insulin and also suffered constant infections (skin, UTI's, thrush, gum, colds). I was induced at 37 weeks. Following the birth of my little boy I was tested again and the result was negative, but having been warned that I have high chances of developing full-blown diabetes I am now concerned that Im pre-diabetic and should be being tested regularly (which Im not!) or doing something myself.
I recently went to the doctors because I was experiencing extreme tiredness/fatigue, tingly hands, UTI and thrush, constant colds, athletes foot, irritability and mood swings and total loss of sex drive. :oops: He sent me for a blood test (just usual, not fasting) and it came back normal. What concerns me is that before the gestational diabetes was diagnosed, all my usual blood tests were normal...it was not until the GTT that the problem was discovered.
I know with the PCOS I am likely to be insulin resistant and I know when my sugars are going haywire as I feel terrible. :(
Should I go back to the docs (I feel like a hypochondriac as it is!) or should I be tesing my sugars (I still have my machine)? Any advice???

cearapeter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello

I would go to your doctor and tell him/her just as you have described it.

I personally would test my BS and see how they measure against the standard guidelines.

Remember it is your body - you have a vested interest in insuring that it is OK!

Look after yourself. There are loads of folk here who will offer support.

Ceara