Should I go back on metformin

saralou78

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
animal cruelty and rude people
I stopped taking metformin due to a bad stomach about two months ago and was then put on januvla, but I felt better on metformin should I go back on it

janice1956

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I stopped taking metformin due to a bad stomach about two months ago and was then put on januvla, but I felt better on metformin should I go back on it
I came off metformin a couple of months ago and tried Januvia which made me feel worse. I now use gliclazide and feel much better. So if your meds make you feel bad go back to your doctor and tell him. There are more different meds that might help you. Dont suffer in silence.I did that for 5 years. Good luck.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
If you feel your symptoms are related to Januvia then yes go see your doctor about it. Did you have the regular Metformin or the slow release version? It can take up to 2 weeks for side effects of either to settle down. Also a good idea to start on 500mg and increase by 500mg each week as long as you feel ok, until you reach the target dose. This is an approach that many doctors use to minimise side effects.

There are various meds available, each with their own benefits, side effects and risks. Reducing carbs in our diet seems to be the most important change we can make, and losing weight if we need to. Meds can also help but food is very important.

saralou78

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
animal cruelty and rude people
I was taking the Sr for two years think I will go and see Dr thanks for advice x

Reactions: 2 people