Should i prepare to hypo??

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys - as you probably are aware (if you have read previous threads) that I have been having a lot of issues running high especially 2 hours post meal. Thought I would dramatically reduce my carbs for my tea to see how it goes. A bit of info.. My insulin carb ratio at tea is approx. 1:9 and my BS usually raises by .28 mmol per 1g of carb and 1 unit of insulin seems to lower my BS by 4.5 mmol. My BS reading prior to my meal was 7.8 mmol I had rump steak and salad (with a little vinigarette) and estimated my carb intake as approx. 5g so injected 1 unit of Novorapid. 1 hour post meal my BS was 9.3 mmol and then at 2hr post meal was 7.2. I am aware that my BS should be around 9 mmol 2 hrs post meal and 7.2 is great considering I normally range between 13 to 18 mmol but am now worried a little in case I hypo. I am trying not to test too often as had a call from GP re the amount of test strips ive been using (usually 10 per day) - but have been getting less and less hypo aware. Are my readings considered to be reasonable or should I test every half an hour to be sure?? Any thoughts .. as always.. would be very much appreciated

Last edited:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Baring in mind you are losing hypo awareness.. Test as much as you want to be sure. You diabetes team and doctor has a "duty of care" seeing as you use medication that could drop you drastically..
10 tests a day is not actually "excessive". I personally have no issue obtaining as many as I need..

Do you pump or inject??

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Baring in mind you are losing hypo awareness.. Test as much as you want to be sure. You diabetes team and doctor has a "duty of care" seeing as you use medication that could drop you drastically..
10 tests a day is not actually "excessive". I personally have no issue obtaining as many as I need..

Do you pump or inject??
I Hi Jaylee - thanks for the reply - am on MDI's at the moment - Novorapid and Lantus as basal - consultant has mentioned a couple of times that a pump is something to think about which I am really considering applying for.

Reactions: himtoo

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I Hi Jaylee - thanks for the reply - am on MDI's at the moment - Novorapid and Lantus as basal - consultant has mentioned a couple of times that a pump is something to think about which I am really considering applying for.

Ah, OK. Your on the same regime as me.. (Insulin wise.)
Just looking at your first post again.. "7.8 prior meal"personally (in this scenario.) bolus before the eat? Then keep an eye on BS progression...
Lovely choice though. Steak & salad..

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah, OK. Your on the same regime as me.. (Insulin wise.)
Just looking at your first post again.. "7.8 prior meal"personally (in this scenario.) bolus before the eat? Then keep an eye on BS progression...
Lovely choice though. Steak & salad..
thought so too lol :) .... just checked at the 3 hrs post meal and risen to 7.7 mmol.... great :-(... don't usually start rising until about 5-5.5 hrs post injection... bloods doing weird and wonderful things at the moment!!

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hey there @Postleneo
in addition to your ratios -- as the weather turns colder your insulin needs could change as well ( just to complicate things )

I , myself would want to micromanage bloods like you are doing , but you will only see if there if there is a pattern by repeating the same scenario a few times.

hard to stand back from it I know -- but perhaps looking at the positives in that all those readings are in a good range