GD Should I speak to my midwife

Peeps38

Hi everyone I am 23 weeks pregnant and sometimes I eat sweets like when we’re watching a film etc. When I do my blood sugars one hour after they go as high as 17.5 and two hours after they’re still high at around 14.5. Today I had a beef sandwich for my breakfast and 1.5 hours later my blood sugar was 12. Should I tell my midwife? Or is this completely normal blood sugars after eating?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
my blood sugars one hour after they go as high as 17.5
Hi @Peeps38 , welcome to the forum and congratulations with your pregnancy!

Yes, definitely call the midwife!
Do you already have diabetes? Those numbers are much higher than someone without diabetes should have.

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The OP has tagged (?) her question with 'GD'. I take this to refer to Gestational Diabetes. I have to agree that these levels are much higher than they should be. I would advise cutting out any sweets and cake immediately and getting in touch with your midwife asap. Good luck.

Reactions: Antje77

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yep. I'd speak to a diabetic nurse, GP or midwife. They can offer you dietary advice or even safe drugs to take in pregnancy such as metformin. I know that pregnancy should be a time to relax about food and indulge cravings but having done 3 diabetic pregnancies I can't suggest you do that. The good news is that there's loads you can do starting with talking to a health professional.
I assume you've had your 20 week scan and all is well? It ibs important to have normal blood sugars at this point because your baby could get too big for a natural delivery and there's evidence that if the baby can get insulin resistant in later life and therefore have problems with weight, diabetes etc. So its worth taking seriously both for your baby and for you because shaving GD is going to make you more vulnerable to being t2 after the pregnancy. Good luck and I hope you enjoy the rest of the pregnancy.

Peeps38

Thank you I’ll speak to my midwife next week. I don’t normally eat sweets or fizzy drinks but I crave them at the minute. I’ll have to lay off them. Thank you

Doireallyneedanams

Thank you I’ll speak to my midwife next week. I don’t normally eat sweets or fizzy drinks but I crave them at the minute. I’ll have to lay off them. Thank you

I would try and contact them today and I’m the meantime ask this question on the Gestational Diabetes Facebook group as there is lots of advice re diet on there.