Type 1 Should I split my Lantus?

bobandpat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, hope some-one can help me with thiis.

We're on an extended holiday, in France. We are taking more exercise than usual but I've been taking less fast acting to cover the extra exercise (walking or cycling).

This worked well for a few weeks but this last week I've hypo'd overnight several times. :( I sleep very heavily, always have done, so don't feel the hypo coming on leaving OH having to sort me out.

Because I'm taking less fast acting and the daytime blood sugars are good I wondered if I need to take less slow acting too so I gave it a try but now my daytime sugars are HIGH all day.

I usually take 8 units Lantus as I go to bed, I've tried taking 6 units as I go to bed but, as I say, my daytime bloods are now high - 10 - 13.

Would it be better to take half my Lantus at bedtime and, hopefully the nightime hypos will stop, then take the rest 12hrs later?

Any advise would be appreciated, thanks.

Fergie1985

Type of diabetes
Type 1

We're on an extended holiday, in France. We are taking more exercise than usual but I've been taking less fast acting to cover the extra exercise (walking or cycling).

This worked well for a few weeks but this last week I've hypo'd overnight several times. :( I sleep very heavily, always have done, so don't feel the hypo coming on leaving OH having to sort me out.

Because I'm taking less fast acting and the daytime blood sugars are good I wondered if I need to take less slow acting too so I gave it a try but now my daytime sugars are HIGH all day.

I usually take 8 units Lantus as I go to bed, I've tried taking 6 units as I go to bed but, as I say, my daytime bloods are now high - 10 - 13.

Would it be better to take half my Lantus at bedtime and, hopefully the nightime hypos will stop, then take the rest 12hrs later?

When I done my dafne course they recommended I do 1/2 and 1/2 of my slow acting and found this helped .y daytime sugars. Give it a try as I think it will give you that little extra boost you need in the day! Xx

Reactions: DiabeticDadUK

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
If you don't want to split-dose you could try changing your basal timing, instead of taking it before bed take the dose in the morning to see if this stops the night-time hypo's (although it may have the opposite effect so watch out).

I was on lantus before moving to a pump and moved the timing a few times, this was after getting the OK from my DSN who said it didn't matter when you take the insulin as long as it's roughly around the same time each day.

bobandpat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I done my dafne course they recommended I do 1/2 and 1/2 of my slow acting and found this helped .y daytime sugars. Give it a try as I think it will give you that little extra boost you need in the day! Xx

Never done a Daphne, been diabetic too long to need one, or so my clinic say!

Think I may give the half and half a try, thanks.

bobandpat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you don't want to split-dose you could try changing your basal timing, instead of taking it before bed take the dose in the morning to see if this stops the night-time hypo's (although it may have the opposite effect so watch out).

I was on lantus before moving to a pump and moved the timing a few times, this was after getting the OK from my DSN who said it didn't matter when you take the insulin as long as it's roughly around the same time each day.

Thanks, I think I'll try half and half first and, if that doesn't work, then I'll shift to a daytime injection.

Hopefully the half and half will work though. I don't want to risk more nightime hypos if possible, he's knackered what with having to get up in the middle of the night to feed me orange juice or milk for the last 4 nights. :arghh:

Reactions: noblehead

DiabeticDadUK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I found splitting my Lantus was very beneficial. Once every 12 hours. Certainly less spikes and hypos.

I would consult your DN first before making a decision. I see you're in France and that might not be possible unless they'll have a chat over the phone? I guess if you're in a rush to try it and your OH can help you keep an eye on things then you could trial it and see how you get on.

Take care :)

Reactions: bobandpat

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi bobandpat,

I and many people find that during the night after a day of extra exercise, I need much less basal. Maybe you simply need to reduce your basal dose? Just remember that Lantus hangs around in your system for a few days so it will take a few days for a change in dosage to have its full effect. (That's why I prefer Levemir - but when I was on Lantus I would "overdo" the change on the first day so I got the full effect quicker.)