1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Should I take it?

Discussion in 'Metformin/Biguanides' started by Gracicles, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Gracicles

Gracicles Type 2 · Member

Hi I'm T2 and started metformin last week at 500mg after breakfast. I am meant to increase it to after breakfast and after lunch tomorrow and then again next week to one after tea as well, but I've been following a low carb diet for a week too and my blood sugars have only been a little high after breakfast (I suspect because it usually cereal and too high in carbs) the rest of the time they have been perfect. My question is do I really need to increase the Met when my sugars are good? I don't want to end up having terrible lows. Would 500mg a day be enough to actually do anything?
    Thanks

#1 Gracicles, Apr 12, 2016 at 11:00 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2016
  2. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

I think you need to discuss this with your doctor. None of us here can answer your question as we aren't medically qualified. The decision is between you and your doctor/nurse.
    Sorry. :(

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Donald2000

Donald2000 · Newbie

I agree with the comment above. No-one except your GP or diabetic nurse has any real authority to tell you or not to tell you about medication. If it has been prescribed for you then it will help to keep your blood glucose in check; the alternatives to having out of control bg are eventually very extreme; that's why Metformin and other drugs are prescribed.

4. Gracicles

Gracicles Type 2 · Member

Thank you, I'm managing to keep my sugars low by eating very few carbs.

5. SunnyExpat

SunnyExpat Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

You have been prescribed a course of treatment.
    You need to consult with your GP, and he needs to be aware of what you are deciding, if you do indeed decide to deviate from his prescription, otherwise how can he effectively treat you?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Donald2000

Donald2000 · Newbie

Thank you. If you know better than the GP, then go ahead.

7. Liam1955

Liam1955 Type 2 · Master

@Gracicles - Metformin lowers the amount of sugar created by the Liver and decreases the amount of sugar absorbed by the intestines. It may also help Type 2 Diabetic's lose weight as it lowers appetite. :)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook