Should I take statins

Sam_Garrett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, my cholesterol is fine but Dr said she thought I should take statins as newly diagnosed with Type 2. Should I take?

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Sam_Garrett and welcome to the forum. There are a lot of threads on here, and different opinions on the usefulness of statins. If your cholesterol levels are fine, why would you want to take them? Statins can raise blood sugar levels too.

Reactions: Sam_Garrett
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I see two possible courses of action. Take your doctor's advice and take the statins and if they cause any problems discuss it with your doctor about what is to be done. Alternatively you could ask your doctor if you really need to take them since there is nothing wrong with you.

What I don't recommend is that you accept them and flush them since the doctor will get the impression that you are fine on them and she will possibly record this and the stats get adversely affected for the rest of us.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
been on statins for a few years now I did decide to stop taking them for a while and the Doctor said my cholestrol had gone up slightly so started taking them again

David_A_Hughes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I was taking statins but, after talking things over with my doctor, came off them. My cholesterol is fine but the side-effects of the statins were too difficult to live with under the circumstances. My joints ached constantly to the extent that it limited my exercising and caused some distress.

A

asparagusp

Your post above is a side issue from the main topic of this thread so post another!

Doctors are really ignorant sometimes. To ask you to go onto statins when you haven't even got a problem with cholesterol its absurd. Their usage can either lead to diabetes or raise sugar levels in existing Diabetics. Absurd advice in my opinion.

Sam_Garrett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your post above is a side issue from the main topic of this thread so post another!

Doctors are really ignorant sometimes. To ask you to go onto statins when you haven't even got a problem with cholesterol its absurd. Their usage can either lead to diabetes or raise sugar levels in existing Diabetics. Absurd advice in my opinion.
Thanks - yes I posted the above on wrong thread! Removed now.

Reactions: asparagusp