Should I worry about my friend going to work alone?

RClif

My close friend just recently got diagnosed with diabetes. He's not use to the check-ups or treatment plans, he's especially worried about taking his insulin. Despite this he doesn't want anything to hold him back and is thinking of going out on his own with starting a business as self employed. I've been offered to join him in the future. He doesn't want to join any forums, I've already tried to persuade him but is there anything I should learn/keep in mind to better help him with his diagnosis and does anyone know any good resources to read for diabetes as well as anything business related?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Quick answer to your question:
NO!

It is possible to work (and live) alone safely with well managed Type 1 diabetes.
We need to regularly test our blood sugars, carry hypo treatment with us all times and remember to take our insulin.

OK, so calculating insulin doses is not always straightforward but if Theresa May ran the UK government, Este Haim tours with an international band and Henry Slade plays rugby for England, it is possible, In fact, there are few things which are not possible with Type 1 diabetes.

What can you do to help your friend? For a start, I would recommend not treating him with kid gloves and let him lead with what he wants. Coming to terms with a chronic condition can be tough but it sounds as if your friend has the right attitude.
If you want to learn more about the condition, you may finding the Learning Zone on Diabetes UK interesting.

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
Quick answer to your question:
NO!

What can you do to help your friend? For a start, I would recommend not treating him with kid gloves and let him lead with what he wants. Coming to terms with a chronic condition can be tough but it sounds as if your friend has the right attitude.

I agree with it.
Do not try to put pressure on your friend, it's hard for him without it. He'll be fine, diabetes won't kill you in a minute, calm down. It will be better if you behave as usual, so that your friend does not feel so much that your attitude towards him has changed. If you are afraid that he will fall unconscious right in front of you, then I can also advise that I advise my friends in this case: smear the inside of his cheek with honey if this happens. From hyperglycemia, they fall into a coma for several days and this is a very unpleasant feeling, so it will force your friend to see a doctor anyway. The best thing you can do for your friend is to say "bro, if you need help, know that I'm here"

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My close friend just recently got diagnosed with diabetes. He's not use to the check-ups or treatment plans, he's especially worried about taking his insulin. Despite this he doesn't want anything to hold him back and is thinking of going out on his own with starting a business as self employed. I've been offered to join him in the future. He doesn't want to join any forums, I've already tried to persuade him but is there anything I should learn/keep in mind to better help him with his diagnosis and does anyone know any good resources to read for diabetes as well as anything business related?

Hi,

Speaking from experience. I’ve worked on my own all day & got home in one piece.. :)

I’m sure when you friend is ready to hit a forum with other diabetics, he will.
Business wise? Only your friend can really push to make a go of it. Sounds like a diagnosis isn’t going to hold him back.

Best wishes & good luck with the future to him.