Sick day rules

Garymurday87

Hi myself and my wife are confusing each other with sick day rules can someone help

1) high bs and keystones . Give sick day ruling as per the amount of insulin he takes in a day . test every 2 hours until keetones gone, if after 2 hrs he still has keetones re do sick day rules.

2)if poorly test keetones and bs , if normal bs but keetones give insulin as per the chart . (But if this is It near a meal time this could pull him into hypo ???)

if it's near a meal time with good bs and keetones above 1 would you give him sick day insulin on top of his normal insulin for a meal . Wouldn't this pull him into hypo .

Can someone just confirm in a clear guide for dummy's what to actually do with sick days

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you don't understand the sick day rules, you should discuss them with your DSN.

http://www.leicestershirediabetes.org.uk/uploads//documents/Type1_Sickdays_LDC_JAN2015.pdf

If there is normal blood sugar and ketones I would be extremely cautious about giving 20% TDD to correct ketones as ketones can be caused by nothing to do with diabetes or blood sugar, they might just be caused by not having eaten many carbs that day or not having eaten. I think starvation ketones can happen relatively quickly in very young children. So if the ketones aren't caused by a lack of insulin then they don't need insulin to correct them.