Sietan

mhaffner73

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Hi all

I have recently been told I’m pre diabetic I think my results say 45 if that makes any sense at all ?

I’m investigating foods before my meeting with the nurse next week. I am vegan and have been so over 20 years. I make a lot of Setan and wondered if this is going to be okay or is it too carby To be fair I’m not sure what volume of carbs is ok at the moment. I’ve read loads and it’s a bit of an information overload. It’s stressing me out so much

New to all this, and I’m really don’t know what I’m doing, so I’m trying my hardest to understand it all asap

Any help and advice is so much appreciated. I haven’t slept properly for days worrying over this now :-(

• Hug
Reactions: JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

I have recently been told I’m pre diabetic I think my results say 45 if that makes any sense at all ?

I’m investigating foods before my meeting with the nurse next week. I am vegan and have been so over 20 years. I make a lot of Setan and wondered if this is going to be okay or is it too carby To be fair I’m not sure what volume of carbs is ok at the moment. I’ve read loads and it’s a bit of an information overload. It’s stressing me out so much

New to all this, and I’m really don’t know what I’m doing, so I’m trying my hardest to understand it all asap

Any help and advice is so much appreciated. I haven’t slept properly for days worrying over this now :-(
Hi!

Not a vegetarian/vegan here, but I'd never heard of seitan and thought I'd look it up. No idea how to imagine a dough that's washed free of starch, but hey... If the carb count at 2 to 3 grams of carbs per 100 grams of seitan are correct in the kind you consume, I think you're doing perfectly okay on that bit. https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html might help a very tiny small little bit, but there's a lot of non-vegan foods in there, so just ignore those. Others'll be along soon who are FAR more knowledgeable than this omnivore, but I can tell you this: While eating low carb can be complicated when vegetarian/vegan, there are those who manage it just fine. And with a result of 45 you have plenty of room to turn this around, still.

You'll be okay. Honest. Breathe.
Jo

mhaffner73

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Hi!

Not a vegetarian/vegan here, but I'd never heard of seitan and thought I'd look it up. No idea how to imagine a dough that's washed free of starch, but hey... If the carb count at 2 to 3 grams of carbs per 100 grams of seitan are correct in the kind you consume, I think you're doing perfectly okay on that bit. https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html might help a very tiny small little bit, but there's a lot of non-vegan foods in there, so just ignore those. Others'll be along soon who are FAR more knowledgeable than this omnivore, but I can tell you this: While eating low carb can be complicated when vegetarian/vegan, there are those who manage it just fine. And with a result of 45 you have plenty of room to turn this around, still.

You'll be okay. Honest. Breathe.
Jo

Thanks so much. I need encouragement it’s doing my head in at the moment

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks so much. I need encouragement it’s doing my head in at the moment
I was quite thoroughly diabetic, with more than double the numbers you were diagnosed with, when I turned out to be mainly made out of sugar. In a matter of two months, my blood sugars were back down into the normal range, and they have remained there ever since. It's been seven years. There are many, many members here who came in basically consisting of sheer sugar cubes, and they got their numbers down. You'll do the same, as you're just a smidge into the prediabetic range, and willing to tackle this before it gets out of hand. Check what you're eating. Are there a lot of pulses in there? Those can raise blood sugars. And a lot of underground veg too, though celeriac seems alright, and parsley root is sort-of okay in moderation. The above ground stuff's usually your friend though. Avocado's are a big help in getting fats in, for instance... Milk replacements often are sweetened, so something to check. I don't know what you currently eat, and odds are I won't know what half of it is if you do tell me, but... You have options. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/vegetarians-what-have-you-eaten-today.88074/ this thread might help some too.

When I first got online to research diabetes and whatnot, got myself some books, absolutely everything screamed at me that I had to follow this or that diet to the letter, or I'd die. Sooner rather than later, probably even yesterday. It would've been nicer if I'd known then what I know now: We're all different, with different needs, physically and mentally, various lifestyles and whatnot... Some things will fit you, some won't. You're you, and that means you're unique. I plucked this from this diet, that from there, and some of the other, and found what suited me in the process. You'll find what works for you too. Forget all the shouty stuff, and get yourself a meter. It'll tell you what foods agree with you and which don't, without trying to sell you something, be it a dogma or a meal replacement shake. ;) Your HbA1c isn't that bad, and you have oodles of time to get this sorted.

You'll be fine. Breathe. And get some proper sleep, you need it!
Jo

mhaffner73

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
I was quite thoroughly diabetic, with more than double the numbers you were diagnosed with, when I turned out to be mainly made out of sugar. In a matter of two months, my blood sugars were back down into the normal range, and they have remained there ever since. It's been seven years. There are many, many members here who came in basically consisting of sheer sugar cubes, and they got their numbers down. You'll do the same, as you're just a smidge into the prediabetic range, and willing to tackle this before it gets out of hand. Check what you're eating. Are there a lot of pulses in there? Those can raise blood sugars. And a lot of underground veg too, though celeriac seems alright, and parsley root is sort-of okay in moderation. The above ground stuff's usually your friend though. Avocado's are a big help in getting fats in, for instance... Milk replacements often are sweetened, so something to check. I don't know what you currently eat, and odds are I won't know what half of it is if you do tell me, but... You have options. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/vegetarians-what-have-you-eaten-today.88074/ this thread might help some too.

When I first got online to research diabetes and whatnot, got myself some books, absolutely everything screamed at me that I had to follow this or that diet to the letter, or I'd die. Sooner rather than later, probably even yesterday. It would've been nicer if I'd known then what I know now: We're all different, with different needs, physically and mentally, various lifestyles and whatnot... Some things will fit you, some won't. You're you, and that means you're unique. I plucked this from this diet, that from there, and some of the other, and found what suited me in the process. You'll find what works for you too. Forget all the shouty stuff, and get yourself a meter. It'll tell you what foods agree with you and which don't, without trying to sell you something, be it a dogma or a meal replacement shake. ;) Your HbA1c isn't that bad, and you have oodles of time to get this sorted.

You'll be fine. Breathe. And get some proper sleep, you need it!
Jo

Thank you I do appreciate that

• Hug
Reactions: JoKalsbeek

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
From the Cronometer app for 100g:

1702402070184.png

Sounds a pretty good food to have, though obviously it depends what else you're going to add with it.

Reactions: saky and mhaffner73

Guilty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
With an A1c of 45. Hopefully you might not have to change too much to bring the level down. You'll do great if you pick up a few tips that work for you and make them part of your lifestyle going forward.

Processed foods and starchy vegetables, bread, pasta and white rice are generally ones to avoid / reduce. (Along with the obvious - cake, biscuits, sugar drinks etc.)

A little bit of exercise helps as well. Especially after meals.

Never tried Seitan. But my blood glucose is fine with beans, Tofu or Tempeh for protein.

Reactions: mhaffner73

mhaffner73

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
With an A1c of 45. Hopefully you might not have to change too much to bring the level down. You'll do great if you pick up a few tips that work for you and make them part of your lifestyle going forward.

Processed foods and starchy vegetables, bread, pasta and white rice are generally ones to avoid / reduce. (Along with the obvious - cake, biscuits, sugar drinks etc.)

A little bit of exercise helps as well. Especially after meals.

Never tried Seitan. But my blood glucose is fine with beans, Tofu or Tempeh for protein.

That’s great thank you. There were two tests for the same thing the other says 6.3%. No idea what this is either I’m probobly jumping the gun and need to wait for my nurse appt next week

After new year I’m olanning in getting a second hand treadmill. Hoping the two weeks won’t make a lot of difference

I don’t tend to each processed except stuff like beyond burgers. I have virtually wiped potatoes out and bread is whole meal but not everyday either also oatcakes for me too

Agree want tips that fit in for me to make it easy. Do you know if the zero plus caffeine free Coke is as bad. Keep reading mixed messages

Again thank you. You have all been so kind

Reactions: JenniferM55

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fab thanks - off to find the app.

Usually have sodtan with stir fry type of meals
I use Cronometer through a browser as I find the app a little clunky, there are other apps though, CarbManager, FatSecret, MyFitnessPal and others.

You'll find there's not much difference between wholemeal and white type flour, or indeed oats, they all turn into sugar when digested.

Reactions: mhaffner73

mhaffner73

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
I use Cronometer through a browser as I find the app a little clunky, there are other apps though, CarbManager, FatSecret, MyFitnessPal and others.

You'll find there's not much difference between wholemeal and white type flour, or indeed oats, they all turn into sugar when digested.

Ok thanks. It’s vital wheat gluten that’s used

Next time I make some I’ll wiz it through my fitness pal :)

Reactions: JenniferM55

Welshman1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

Hi. I'm a long-term vegan and used to eat seitan regularly and interesting it didn't spike my BGs. In terms of carbs per 100g it averages between about 4 - 14g, so it can quite high (depending on the supplier) and I would urge testing if you do try it.

Christmas day I will indulge in 2-3 slices of roast seitan but I will be monitoring my bloods to be extra safe.

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @mhaffner73 There is a YouTube channel called heavenly fan. She is vegan and is low carb/keto. She has wonderful recipes for wraps, veg curry and a host of other meals. I thoroughly recommend checking her out as she gives great ideas for meals.

Reactions: Guilty

Guilty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @mhaffner73 There is a YouTube channel called heavenly fan. She is vegan and is low carb/keto. She has wonderful recipes for wraps, veg curry and a host of other meals. I thoroughly recommend checking her out as she gives great ideas for meals.
Thanks for sharing this. I can already see lots of recipes to try!!!

• Friendly
Reactions: MissMuffett