signs of diabetic maculopathy

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes :P having to eat food in moderation
So I've been type 1 for over a year now,currently on no insulin and due to hbalc been in range,5.7 6.1 5.7.so got my letter back today which says,your test results showed signs of diabetic maculopathy that needs to be checked further,no need to say that I'm devastated by the news thought i was doing so well and boom!! spanner in the works!! feeling so low right now :(

Dark Horse

What you had was a screening test not a diagnostic test. You need further tests to determine if there is actually anything amiss. Sight-threatening diabetic retinopathy is very rare in people with Type 1 in the first 5 years after diabetes diagnosis so there's a very good chance that the follow-up tests will be fine. Try not to worry, but carry on working at maintaining a good HbA1c and make sure you attend the follow-up appointments, just in case.

Reactions: gvintagedrken

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@wiserkurtious that sucks and of course it's worrying for you, but remember it is a prophylactic screening test and with good glycaemic control its most likely it will resolve itself.

So, you might want to double check you do have good glycaemic control. You have quoted you hba1c numbers, but that's probably less than half the picture. Do you test post prandially to check you aren't spiking and then dropping?

If I were you I'd maybe try to speak with your diabetic team to see if you can trial a CGM or libre for a few days just to see if you ought to be considering adding insulin now. It might just be *word I'll get told off for typing* bad luck, but I'd be doing the double checking just for peace of mind.

Big breath and look after youself.

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@wiserkurtious that sucks and of course it's worrying for you, but remember it is a prophylactic screening test and with good glycaemic control its most likely it will resolve itself.

So, you might want to double check you do have good glycaemic control. You have quoted you hba1c numbers, but that's probably less than half the picture. Do you test post prandially to check you aren't spiking and then dropping?

If I were you I'd maybe try to speak with your diabetic team to see if you can trial a CGM or libre for a few days just to see if you ought to be considering adding insulin now. It might just be *word I'll get told off for typing* bad luck, but I'd be doing the double checking just for peace of mind.

Big breath and look after youself.

ty for your comment,going to get in touch with the diabetic team on monday feel like I've been given the wrong advice from diagnosis,seen my consultant 4 months back and he told me not to test has much like once a day honestly feel like I've been let down with all the advice I've been given

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I do test after,yes have been a little high on occasion's but nothing ridiculous,thiking it might have something to do with the amount of exercise I do,which i do after breakfast than after tea to try and keep my bloodsugars in range

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
That must be an enormous relief for you wisekurtious. Diabetes surely like to mess with our minds.

sure was,diabetes causes so may anxiety's for sure so ya just going to keep trying my best to handle my sugars so if/when i do get complications at least I know I've been doing my best!and won t feel to down about things.