Signs of Diabetic Maculopathy

Hello.

I was diagnosed with Type II back in March - My HbA1c was 55 mmol/mol back then. I started a new diet and more active lifestyle and today my HbA1C is 34 mmol/mol without taking any medicine.

A couple of weeks ago I went for my Diabetic Eye Screening Test and today I received a letter stating:

Your test result showed signs of diabetic maculopathy that need to be checked further. Diabetic maculopathy is a condition where there are changes to the blood vessels on the macula, the central part of the retina at the back of your eye. This means we may need to check your eyes more often than every 12 months.

I'm kind of FREAKING OUT, with the news and I'm seeking advice from anyone going through the same experience.

Thanks in advance,
Luis-

Dollyspot

Hi
I too have just joined this forum. I was diagnosed just over a year ago and they suspect I have been type 2 for some time.
I am currently undergoing treatment for diabetic retinopathy. This involves injections and laser treatment - not as bad as it sounds. I would discuss it with your doctor and I found my optician very helpful too.
Best wishes and try not to worry too much.
:)

Dark Horse

From your letter, it sounds like you have been referred to the 'surveillance' branch of the eye screening service. This means that there are some changes in the eye which are not severe enough to warrant referral to the hospital eye service but need to be monitored in case the changes progress. Many people are referred to surveillance, are monitored there a few times and then put back into annual screening when the changes that were detected clear up. For some people, the changes progress and they will need to be referred to the hospital eye service for further testing in order to see whether the changes are significant and require treatment. The more frequent monitoring in the surveillance service means that any significant changes that require treatment are picked up at an early stage when the treatment is most effective.

The best way to prevent progression of maculopathy is to maintain good control of blood glucose, blood pressure and lipids.