Six / twelve month checkup:

Martin153

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I haven't been seen since Jan 2019.
Wonder if this is a record.
Living in Leicestershire, go to Coalville hospital which is a Wed morning outpost for Leicester general infirmary.
I've had T1D for over 37 years & am ok & accept that Covid cases have took over but after talking to a girl at Ocado who's had diabetes for 2 years, she is 24, & was given a Libre cgm, which I spotted on her arm. She lives in Birmingham.
I told her I haven't been seen since she was diagnosed & they won't give me a libre cgm unless I can prove I test myself 8 times a day or over. It's a farce as they won't even give enough test strips to do 8 tests a day.
What makes it being even more farcical is some years back they said I can go on a dafne course.
I asked how much that costs the Nhs, £3500. What an absolute joke. Told em no.
Always said to people back in 1984 that besides being cured of it, knowing what your sugar levels are at any time is the next most important thing. So bleedin obvious to me. I'm hoping to buy a cgm soon.
Rant over :)

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Living in Leicestershire, go to Coalville hospital which is a Wed morning outpost for Leicester general infirmary.
I've had T1D for over 37 years & am ok & accept that Covid cases have took over but after talking to a girl at Ocado who's had diabetes for 2 years, she is 24, & was given a Libre cgm, which I spotted on her arm. She lives in Birmingham.
I told her I haven't been seen since she was diagnosed & they won't give me a libre cgm unless I can prove I test myself 8 times a day or over. It's a farce as they won't even give enough test strips to do 8 tests a day.
What makes it being even more farcical is some years back they said I can go on a dafne course.
Always said to people back in 1984 that besides being cured of it, knowing what your sugar levels are at any time is the next most important thing. So bleedin obvious to me. I'm hoping to buy a cgm soon.
Gloucestershire, Tewkesbury area. Blood tests still happening, went to have my feet checked last week. Had my eyes done... But I haven't had vaccine where it was in the news today that there is unhappiness that in some parts of the UK over 50s are now getting it where others in high risk haven't...

It's postcode lottery. It's utterly ridiculous, why can you be treated better just cause of where you live...

Martin153

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Gloucestershire, Tewkesbury area. Blood tests still happening, went to have my feet checked last week. Had my eyes done... But I haven't had vaccine where it was in the news today that there is unhappiness that in some parts of the UK over 50s are now getting it where others in high risk haven't...

It's postcode lottery. It's utterly ridiculous, why can you be treated better just cause of where you live...
I had the pfizer jab 2 days ago, so at least I'm less at risk but I work 38.5 hours a week at Ocado & got bills to pay so covid is just another nasty to me, stuff it :)

Reactions: oldgreymare

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi,

I fund my own CGM set up with the Libre. All you need is a smart phone, don't worry about buying the Abbott scanner. Edit to add; & a Bluetooth bridge. (Though that's starting to become obsolete with the L2.)

I got turned down by the endo having the sensor on prescription.
Test strip wise. I just re-order those every couple of weeks on my script & pick up at my local chemist in advance of when needed.
Been doing it for years & no one at the surgery has batted an eyelid.

Do you drive for Ocado?? (I won't go into what DVLA require as an insulin dependent.)
But they do accept Libres as a BG reading. My set up on the phone gives me an "at a glance update" readout every five minutes on my A pillar..

Last edited:

Martin153

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I fund my own CGM set up with the Libre. All you need is a smart phone, don't worry about buying the Abbott scanner. Edit to add; & a Bluetooth bridge. (Though that's starting to become obsolete with the L2.)

I got turned down by the endo having the sensor on prescription.
Test strip wise. I just re-order those every couple of weeks on my script & pick up at my local chemist in advance of when needed.
Been doing it for years & no one at the surgery has batted an eyelid.

Do you drive for Ocado?? (I won't go into what DVLA require as an insulin dependent.)
But they do accept Libres as a BG reading. My set up on the phone gives me an "at a glance update" readout every five minutes on my A pillar..
Thanks for that.
I got myself in a money mess a few years back so have been looking at all the different cgm's with envy!
I work at Ocado near Tamworth but not as a driver. I do drive but wouldn't like to drive for work without a cgm.
I live 13 miles away 1 junction up the M42 so an easy drive.
Hopefully I'll be able to fund a cgm soon.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for that.
I got myself in a money mess a few years back so have been looking at all the different cgm's with envy!
I work at Ocado near Tamworth but not as a driver. I do drive but wouldn't like to drive for work without a cgm.
I live 13 miles away 1 junction up the M42 so an easy drive.
Hopefully I'll be able to fund a cgm soon.

Yeah, realy all I got an old used affordable phone, there was intiall outlay on a Bluetooth scanner & transmitter.running to a third party developed app.
The stinger is the sensors.
Driving wise. If you do go low & pull over? The response to treatment shows quicker with a meter than it does with the CGM?
So I do carry the meter for legal reasons too.. Having said that. The sensor does reflect drops in BG pretty accurately for me.
I am still hypo awair after nearly 45 years.

I've done a few driving jobs. But mostly work in engineering.. I wish you all the best. These are interesting times.

Martin153

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah, realy all I got an old used affordable phone, there was intiall outlay on a Bluetooth scanner & transmitter.running to a third party developed app.
The stinger is the sensors.
Driving wise. If you do go low & pull over? The response to treatment shows quicker with a meter than it does with the CGM?
So I do carry the meter for legal reasons too.. Having said that. The sensor does reflect drops in BG pretty accurately for me.
I am still hypo awair after nearly 45 years.

I've done a few driving jobs. But mostly work in engineering.. I wish you all the best. These are interesting times.
I'm happy driving to/from work or to the shops & have been on holiday to cornwall but I just wouldn't like the risk of hypo if I drove for my job. The pressure of getting the job done etc would probably take priority in my mind & so more risk.
But with a cgm that would change everything. Cheers.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm happy driving to/from work or to the shops & have been on holiday to cornwall but I just wouldn't like the risk of hypo if I drove for my job. The pressure of getting the job done etc would probably take priority in my mind & so more risk.
But with a cgm that would change everything. Cheers.

Now strangely when i'm low. i just loose all confidence..

I've driven all over Europe, either holidaying with my wife or when not flying with a Metal band i used to be a member of? LOL. I remember after one gig in Holland at a club, the guys were loading up my van whilst i was fixing a low i felt as we packed down.
We were done & set to head off to our accommodation for the night. They had to wait a little while longer before i was back in the "zone" on the meter or even got my mojo back to drive.. No one else could cover for me in the drivers seat. they had been drinking..