Skin Conditions with T1

Akash

Hi all, hope you are well.

I was just wondering if anyone had experienced a similar symptom.

For context, i am a 26 year old male with relatively good Hba1c (5.7%).

Over the last year i have developed a skin condition which has been itchy and is darker than my skin tone.

It started around my torso and over the last year has spread to my upper body.

I have seeked medical advice on this and prescribed medication but i just wondered if anyone had experienced anything similar as the Dr suggested it is diabetes related.

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Jilly Poll

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Akash sorry to read about your skin condition.
Thankfully, it is not something I have experienced but I wonder if you have developed a reaction to your insulin.
Would you be able to change your insulin?

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
In my teenage years I got vitiligo, if I go in the sun, the pigment in my skin goes pure white and patchy while other areas stay tanned. Winnie Harlow the supermodel has this. Apparently there is a link to diabetes and vitiligo. Can’t remember where I read it.
I’m white so the pigment in my skin goes even whiter.
Never experienced the itching though. did the doctors say what it could be?

Akash

@Akash sorry to read about your skin condition.
Thankfully, it is not something I have experienced but I wonder if you have developed a reaction to your insulin.
Would you be able to change your insulin?

Thanks for your reply!

Thats a good shout in terms of possibly an insulin reaction. Will certainly look into this! Thanks

Reactions: In Response

Akash

In my teenage years I got vitiligo, if I go in the sun, the pigment in my skin goes pure white and patchy while other areas stay tanned. Winnie Harlow the supermodel has this. Apparently there is a link to diabetes and vitiligo. Can’t remember where I read it.
I’m white so the pigment in my skin goes even whiter.
Never experienced the itching though. did the doctors say what it could be?

Thank you for that, really useful. The patches seem to be darker rather than lighter which makes me think it’s potentially something else. Will certainly look into this though. Thank you

Reactions: Dudette1

PIPPO_PIPPI

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Akash.
Some time after I discovered my T1, I started to have darker colored areas of my torso and especially my back, and these areas were itchy, especially if I was playing sports and sweating.
The dermatologist diagnosed "Psoriasis versicolor", and gave me an antifungal medication called Diflucan, composed of Fluconazole, which took effect.
But every year at the beginning of the warm months I have to repeat the treatment.
I hope it can help you.
Hi
Andrea :)

Reactions: Akash

Akash

Hi Akash.
Some time after I discovered my T1, I started to have darker colored areas of my torso and especially my back, and these areas were itchy, especially if I was playing sports and sweating.
The dermatologist diagnosed "Psoriasis versicolor", and gave me an antifungal medication called Diflucan, composed of Fluconazole, which took effect.
But every year at the beginning of the warm months I have to repeat the treatment.
I hope it can help you.
Hi
Andrea :)

Hi Andrea. Thanks so much for this, thats very helpful. Having looked it up im sure that i have something similar so i have atleast some idea when i visit the Doctor. Thanks again, much appreciated and hope you are well!