Skin graft surgery

Angel1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, I have recently had facial skin graft surgery due to a Basel cell carcinoma. I am 2 weeks post op. I am struggling with keeping my blood sugars under control. What should I be doing. I have undertaken DAFNE and trying to follow sick day rules. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thank you.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If sick day rules aren't working, ring 111. Have you tested for ketones?

• Agree
Reactions: Jaylee

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, I have recently had facial skin graft surgery due to a Basel cell carcinoma. I am 2 weeks post op. I am struggling with keeping my blood sugars under control. What should I be doing. I have undertaken DAFNE and trying to follow sick day rules. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thank you.
Hi,

Here’s wishing you a speedy recovery.

What insulin/s are you prescribed?
How long post op have you been struggling with BGs?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Angel1954 sorry to read about your levels.
I had a BCC skin graft on my face about 3 years ago. My biggest problem was eating and cleaning my teeth as it was on my upper lip. My blood sugar levels were pretty stable once the anaesthetic wore off.
If your levels are still high, I would recommend getting your skin graft checked out to ensure it is healing correctly.

I assume you have changed your insulin and pens to ensure it is not faulty insulin. The skin graft could be a red herring.

Angel1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Here’s wishing you a speedy recovery.

What insulin/s are you prescribed?
How long post op have you been struggling with BGs?

Approx 2 weeks post op. I haven’t been doing a lot of exercise since op. I had two shortish walks todays and BG was nearly in range. Exercise might be my problem.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am using Novo Rapid and Lantus.

Hi,

Now oddly, I had drafted up my observations on my basal. (Lantus. In my first post.) But thought best against it, till I ascertained what you were prescribed?

Lantus fo me can be unstable sometimes. (About halfway down the cartridge.) it looses potency.
Changing the cartridge fixes the issue the following day?

Angel1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Now oddly, I had drafted up my observations on my basal. (Lantus. In my first post.) But thought best against it, till I ascertained what you were prescribed?

Lantus fo me can be unstable sometimes. (About halfway down the cartridge.) it looses potency.
Changing the cartridge fixes the issue the following day?
Thank you will look at this.

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A few months ago, I had two major skin graft operations a couple days apart because I had suffered burns to 20% of my surface area. I was confined to the hospital bed, not able to move hardly at all while wearing 2 casts. The nurses measured my blood sugar often and I was able to decide how much insulin to take. I found my carbohydrate to insulin ratio changed alot. So I would suggest perhaps your ratio has changed and therefore you should measure your blood sugar frequently and mind what you eat to determine what's going on with it all.

Reactions: Angel1954